Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

This am my husband woke up with severe pain in his right eye

This am my husband woke up with severe pain in his right eye with redness, swelling, and what looks like a pin sized bubble near the edge of his iris. He does not wear contacts & usually has better than 20/20 vision. I told him he needs to go to an ophthalmologist but he is stubborn and went to work anyway. What is this & what could cause it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

You are correct.....he should be seen by an ophthalmologist today, not an optometrist.

Dr. Rick :

One of the most worrisome possible causes of his symptoms is a corneal ulcer. While this is more common in folks that wear contact lenses, it can happen to anyone. Left untreated it will only get worse.

Dr. Rick :

You should call a local ophthalmologist and make your husband an appointment for this morning. Then call your husband at work, tell him that DrRick said you are right, that he should stop being so stubborn (Don't, however, get used to being right as this is not something I like to encourage in Wives, especially my own lol!) and get his butt to the eye doc.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I was just thinking about your husband and wondering what the ophthalmologist found. I hope he is doing better.