Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I was toldI have macular dystrophy about a week ago, after

Customer Question

I was toldI have macular dystrophy about a week ago, after visiting optician, then going to Moorfields. I am told I need to go back in 3 months. Is this too long? Also, is this very bad news, because everything I see online about itlooks all doom. Will I be able to work and look after myself or in time will allthis go? I am 45 years old.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am a retina specialist.

Dr. Rick :

Was this diagnosis confirmed by the ophthalmologists at Moorfield's? If so, do you know what type of macular dystrophy they said you have? How is your vision at this time?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I look forward to your response so that we can figure out just what type of macular dystrophy you have and help you to better understand what is going on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

I was diagnosed by someone at Moorfields. This was at the Battersea Latchmere clinic. He took a photograph of each eye. I don't know if he was an ophthamologist or optometrist. I realise they are different as someone I know told me.

At the moment my left eye seems fine but my right eye has distorted vision. This is how the optician picked it up on the amsler grid and looking at my eye with a light.

So as far as I know,as yet I saw an optician, then probabably an optometrist and should really expect or push to be reffered to see an ophthamologist next?

But its just when I have read about all of this online, it all looks doom no matter what, I thought maybe Id have good eyes for another 20 years (which is bad enough in itself as I'd still only be 65 years old then) but see things being said like it says vision deteriates in 5 - 10 years. So thats a lot quicker than I expected it to be.

I have never even needed reading glasses up until recentley, so any eye problem and my lack of information on it is due to this.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Oops! The Gremlins that live in my Computer ate my post....let me try again!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I dont know what type I had, he said juvenille I think.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Yes. An optometrist doesn't know enough about macular dystrophy to know what he doesn't know. I would put no stock in what they say about this type of issue.

You need to be examined by an ophthalmologist (Eye MD) at the least and, if you do have one of the many different types of macular dystrophy that can occur at your age, I would highly recommend being seen by a retina specialist. The sooner you are examined the better.....

Do not worry about all the doom and gloom you are reading on the internet. The majority of what you are reviewing most likely deals with wet age related macular degeneration which you may or may not have.

I am here and happy to help you understand what is going on and what needs to be done. If you can get copies of the retinal photographs, fluorescein angiograms, clinical notes etc I will be happy to review them in depth with you so that you can understand exactly what is going on. Even after you press the positive feedback button I will not go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll be right here until you have all the information you want and need. :-)

There are many subtypes of juvenile macular dystrophy and, if this is what the doctors believe you are suffering from, you should strongly request that your next evaluation by done by a retina specialist. Moorfield's has some of the best retina specialists in the world (almost as good as the ones available at JustAnswer lol!) and you would be in good hands with them.

I look forward to reviewing your data in depth with you....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX more positive then. SoI wll do that then get to see a retina specialist.
Thanks

Tabatha
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Sounds like an excellent plan Tabatha. Let me know how things turn out.