Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi XXXXX was doing handstands (!) with my daughter.

Hi XXXXX was doing handstands (!) with my daughter. I saw stars momentarily and I have had a 'blob' or spot in the central vision of my left eye (about 10 past the hour on a clock face) since then. I suspected it was to do with the pressure I put on my eyes being upside down. So I saw an opthalmologist yesterday who said I had a burst capillary at the back of my eye in the area I described. I shouldve asked more questions but was relieved my retina was ok so was happy and left. My questions are, is the blurry spot I see (its different colours/opacity depending on the background) to do with the blood casting a shadow on my retina or is the part of my retina affected by the burst capillary damaged? Will the blob eventually go or am I stuck with it and should learn to ignore it? I have been told to go back for a check up in a couple of months. Thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The blood should clear over the next few weeks. From what you have posted it is difficult to tell if the blood is from an intra-retinal bleed or from a small area of vitreous hemorrhage. If it is from a vitreous hemorrhage with the blood casting a shadow on your retina, it should clear and your vision should return to normal with no residual blurry spot

Dr. Rick :

If, on the other hand, the blood is in the tissues of your retina the final outcome is not that certain. The blood may clear and your vision return to normal with no defect or, if the actual photoreceptors are damaged from the bleeding, you may be left with a permanent defect in your vision. The good news? It shouldn't get any worse then it is right now.

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message? Only time will tell which outcome you will have. There is nothing you can do, nothing you can take and no exercise you can practice that will impact your final outcome. The only treatment is a dose of Tincture of Time......

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted, however, I think you will be OK.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi

Thanks for your prompt reply. Im glad the chances are it will not get any worse. I think with time I will get out of the habit of looking for it and not notice it, plus people are going to think Im strange if I keep shutting one eye then the other and blinking rapidly all the time (thats me bringing the blob 'up', its always there but I have to shut off my right eye first). More info: I do think the blob reduced in size from saturday and changed shape to one with a more jagged edge and a circle in the middle. Also by reading black print on white with my right eye shut I have deduced the blob is blurry, sort of see through, not a total blind spot. When I look about me it is like a camera flash blob. Does that help whether its photoreceptor damage or a shadow? Last question. I assume my capillary was there for a reason? Will my eye get by ok without it? thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Thanks for that excellent description :)

It sounds like the blood is floating in your vitreous. This means it should clear up with no residual effect on your vision.

That being said it is important that your ophthalmologist look closely for the source of the blood just to make sure your retina is otherwise ok.

You eye will be just fine after the blood reabsorbs and you should not even notice anything from the "missing" capillary...

Have a good day and don't forget to mash that positive feedback button if you have found my input helpful :-)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest