Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I went to the ER on May 26, 2012 and they took sone exerts

Customer Question

I went to the ER on May 26, 2012 and they took sone exerts of my lungs and told me that I had bacterial pneumonia and was prescribed a Z-pack, I started feeling a little better until the day I finished my medicine and then I started feeling bad again coughing and fever returned and I woke up 2 days after finishing my medicine with a red rash on my chest and starting on my arms and hands and my eyes were red and almost looked like they have blusters on the white parts of my eyes, but aren't draining or watery, this continues to get worse along with the rash, I am starting to get large red spots on my legs that are feverish with a large knot under the skin and ate painful to the touch, I went to the dr and was told that had strep in my blood and was prescribed penicillin, and told that if I didn't see improvement in two days that I needed to go immediately back to the dr or ER because it was something else and it needed to be checked into further does any of this make sense and sound like it could be correct?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Yes, this all makes sense. How long ago did you go back to the ER and were diagnosed with the strep infection? Are you improving after this most recent treatment attempt?
Doctor DanB : Are you still there?
Doctor DanB : Were you able to see my questions to you?
Customer : I went to the dr yesterday and was put on penicillian 4 times a day and no the rash is still spreading up my arms and on my legs and my eyes are no lOnger white they are solid red and are very tired feeling and I am very tired and run down and still have a very heavy chest and have alot of stuff in my lungs and have a severe headache
Doctor DanB : Okay, I think it's very important that you go right back. After 24 he's on the "correct" antibiotic you should be getting better and not worse. From what you're telling me, I suspect you have Stevens-Johnson syndrome which is a serious skin reaction usually to a drug (such as the Z-oak) or in response to an initial infection. It is a serious problem and needs to be dealt with right away. Does that make sense?
Customer : Yes it does, so u feel I am correct to be concerned and shouldn't wait another 24 hrs for improvement before going back?
Doctor DanB : Absolutely. That's precisely what I think. Your doctor needs to know about this worsening and needs to consider Stevens-Johsnon syndrome as a distinct possibility going on here.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?     
Doctor DanB : If not, Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at anytime you feel this process has been helpful, please press the ACCEPT button, if you see it.  This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.  Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  Thanks for your inquiry!  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.