Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

when I woke up this morning my eyes were very blurry, i tried

when I woke up this morning my eyes were very blurry, i tried to blink and gently rub my eyes to see if there was mucus to coverning them but this did not help. After sitting for almost 5 minutes it got a little better but my vision did not get back to normal for close to 30 minutes total. I have noticed for the last couple of weeks in the evening I get a lot of mucus coming from my eyes. Any suggestions?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:
Dr. A.S. Desai :

When you blurry, does it feel like you are looking through a thin film?

Customer:
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Early morning blurring and mucus in the eyes could be due to meibomitis. It is the inflammation of the meibomian glands in the lids( modified sebaceous glands).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Simple measures for this includes warm compresses to be given twice a day( helps the secretions to drain well), gentle lid scrub with 50:50 diluted baby shampoo applied with the help of a Q-tip.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

This can be done for about a month. Though it is slow to show its effect it does help in most cases. Along with this you can start putting lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Avoid putting Visine eye drops as they are just decongestant eye drops and will be of no help in your case.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I can see that you have been typing for quite sometime now so I guess I'll wait for your response.

Customer:
Customer:

For some reason I cannot respond

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Sorry but I am unable to see your response

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Just type your query and press reply button or the enter button on your computer.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have more queries?

Customer:

not sure why but i keep typing and the reply button is not working

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But now I can see your replies

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Just continue....

Dr. A.S. Desai :

it is working now : )

Customer:

I have been exercising a good deal lately and notice sweat going into my eyes. Could this have created the problem?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, I don't think the sweat would have caused these symptoms.

Customer:

I think my concern is that I've had some dizzy spells lately and actually had a fall yesterday in which I still don't know how I fell. i did not hit my head but then this morning I couldn't see. Guess its starting to make me nervous. Is there a reason that meibomitis occurs?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No , meibomitis is not sudden in onset and would take days to weeks to develop.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you trying to say that the blurred vision was only experienced this morning?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

How is the vision now?

Customer:

yes just this morning. I seem to have a good bit of mucus again tonight so it gets occassionally blurry until i clear it

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Dizziness can occur from various systemic conditions such hypoglycemia ( prolonged state of hunger), dehydration, exhaustion from physical exercise, inner ear problem or even cerebellar problem.

Customer:

I am I understanding that meibomitis may not be the case or that if it is meibomitis I could experience the same issue tomorrow morning? sorry

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes exactly.

Customer:

so sorry Doc think I'm confused. sounds like I may have to expect this again tomorrow morning. am I correct?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess there are two different issues here. The dizziness or dizzy spells are due to non-ocular systemic cause and can be evaluated by a physician. For the mucus and occasional blurring of vision , it could be meibomitis ( which you can expect to find for some more days).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

For meibomitis try the measures explained in the beginning of this chat.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I'll repeat it here-

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Customer:

Thank you very much my confusion is cleared now. :-)

Customer: