Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I had a vitrectomy two weeks ago. The surgery itself was successful,

I had a vitrectomy two weeks ago. The surgery itself was successful, but the vision in that eye is still extremely blurry. The surgeon says it is a result of blood in the eye. How long might it take for this to dissipate?

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

It can take anywhere from a few weeks to three-four months for blood in the eye to clear. However, despite that, it can take up to one year for some vitrectomies (depending on the reason for having the vitrectomy; usually the more complex the issue, the longer it can take) before the final vision is realized. Does that make sense?

Doctor DanB :

Does this information help address your concerns?

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry! If this has been helpful in addressing your concerns, please hit the ACCEPT button. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

It helps to have a time frame for the resolution of this situation. Every morning, when I first wake up, I usually see a dark "drip" flow across my eye and then sort of "spread out" and disappear. When my head is upright the rest of the day, I never see any other dark spots except for some "floaters" from time to time. Is this dark "drip" blood that has pooled over night???

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I put a follow-up question in my reply to the original question. Can you explain this?

Every morning, when I first wake up, I see a dark "drip" flow across my eye and then sort of "spread out" and disappear. It doesn't cover my entire field of vision, just a narrow "stream" is the best way I can describe it. When my head is upright the rest of the day, I never see any other dark spots except for some "floaters" from time to time. I wonder if this is part of the blood that is pooling during the night as I sleep.
You got it exactly right. That's the blood that has pooled overnight.