Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I am new to wearing contact lenses. Ive been told there is

I am new to wearing contact lenses. I've been told there is a trade-off between contact lens solutions that clean well and those that are more gentle on the eye. Is that true, and if so, how does one choose?
thanks,
GP
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. I think there may be some truth to that, although I don't think there's any practical way to know for sure. In general, the hydrogen peroxide-based cleaners tend to clean a bit better, but sometimes can be more irritating to the eyes. On the other hand the multi-purpose solutions (that you can clean with and store the contacts in) tend to be a bit more gentle on the eye, but maybe don't clean quite as well, some people feel. However, I think that the multi-purpose solutions work very well and for most people they are able to get the job done.

Doctor DanB :

I think the most important thing is that they are cleaned every night and stored in a fresh well of solution every night. That's the most important thing to follow to keep them clean and safe. Does that make sense?

Doctor DanB :

Does this information help address your concerns?

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry! If this has been helpful in addressing your concerns, please hit the ACCEPT button. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

That's helpful - thank you. I've seen solutions marketed as for "sensitive eyes". I thought maybe it meant gentler, but not as good as cleaning. Sounds like there's not so much difference in the solutions, but there's a bigger difference in how often or well you use them?

Doctor DanB :

Yes, I think that's where the biggest difference comes in is how well, often, and when you use them.