Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I have been diagnosed with Mal De debarqument Syndrome after

I have been diagnosed with Mal De debarqument Syndrome after a long cruise 8 months ago. 3 yrs ago I had lasik monovision surgery. I feel this syndrome has really affected my eyes. I have extreme motion in my head all the time. It feels like i have someone elses prescription on. I went to a Ophthalmic specialist and he said my eyes looked fine. But I had a few issues with depth perception. He gave me a contact to see if correcting the monovision would help I wore it for about a month it helped at first but I still had the motion symptoms. Do you think the monovision surgery could be making the symptoms of the syndrome worse or maybe even causing it. I know your eyes have alot to do with your balance.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

How old are you?

Customer:

I am 47 yrs. old

Doctor DanB :

I certainly think that your monovision LASIK could be playing a role in contributing to your MdDS or even exacerbating it. It's unlikely that it caused it or you probably would've had some symptoms prior to your cruise.

Customer:

I agree I have been to many specialist and tried many things. Do you have any suggestions what to do about the monovision it is my right eye andmy problems from the syndrome seem to be much worse on that side. Headache, sinus, ears and pain in eye.

Doctor DanB :

I think that contact lenses to counteract the monovision are probably the best short-term solution (though you said it hasn't relieved your symptoms). I suspect, though, that counteracting the monovision won't necessarily make the symptoms go away (because I believe this is ultimately an inner ear problem, not an eye problem), but certainly getting rid of that visual arrangement can only help. A more long-term solution would be to have another eye surgery to abolish the monovision. In your situation, it would likely be a clear-lens exchange (in other words, cataract surgery even though you likely don't have cataracts). Does that make sense?

Customer:

Yes it makes sense. I should probably try the contact again. The ENT specialist said mdds is actually a problem in the balance part of the brain and that it is self limiting and should eventually go away but 8 months is a long time. They have now want me to see a neurologist. I don't know how I feel about that. Back to my eyes would you suggest I try the contact again for a longer period of time. I have a problem with focusing now, if nothing else it may correct that.

Doctor DanB :

I think trying the contact lens for a longer period of time is probably the best thing to do for now. It will also give you a better idea (over the long haul) of whether further eye surgery will help in the future. I also feel like the neurologist may not be a bad idea, though.

Customer:

Could monovision cause my head to be foggy I sometimes have a hard time thinking straight. It has been a miserable 8 months. I think that It wold probably be a good idea also to go to the neurologist just to eliminate or confirm other issues.

Doctor DanB :

Unfortunately, monovision would not cause your head to be foggy. This is one of the most classically described complaints from MdDS patients, though. I definitely feel, because of this symptom of yours, that the neurologist trip would be good for you. Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

Customer:

Many but I don't think there are answers for them. Thank you for the answers you have given me. I will take your advice. Thanks again

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome. Good luck to you. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry! If this has been helpful in addressing your concerns, please hit the ACCEPT button. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry! If this has been helpful in addressing your concerns, please hit the ACCEPT button. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology