Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Could a combination of Xanax and Atenolol cause an optometrist

Could a combination of Xanax and Atenolol cause an optometrist to produce an .5 diopter difference in a normal lens (right eye), my left eye has a slight cataract but cannot be adjusted to 20/20 perhaps 25/20 at the very best with some astigmatism? I first saw him 2 weeks ago I am absolutely certain my 1 vs. 2 answers were correct then. I got my sunglasses back with the new script and said "No, this is not right". I then went back with no medication again making sure that 1 vs 2 answers were correct. I was manic, shaking and silly but he modified the script -.5 diopters in the right which would be normal for a 55 year old male as my eyes have gradually improved with age and my reading is fine.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you avai
Doctor DanB : Available to chat?
Doctor DanB : While it's possible that not being in those mess may have caused you to shake and therefore have a decreased ability to cooperate to your best ability on that test for glasses, those medications would not, in any other way, affect your glasses prescription. In my experience of refracting patients, it's usually cataracts and a little bit of dry eye that keeps an eye from getting to 20/20. Does that make sense?

Yes. Once again I am sure my 1 vs 2 answers were correct.

He did treat me for dry eye first. If what you are saying is true he has made another mistake then due to my shaking but I believe the I forced myself to firmly place my eyes and was very careful because the re-test was free.

Doctor DanB : I see. It's certainly possible that the treatment was either incorrect or not satisfactory.  Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?     

Well it's more about the cataract itself and your answer would be speculation. Based on your answer here, I am going to ask for a quick re-check of the clear single-lens pair on an eye chart with those meds in me as he signed off as those meds were not an issue.

Doctor DanB : Yes, I think that's a good plan. If the dry eye has been treated sufficiently, then it certainly is possiblebthatbthe cataract is affecting your vision. At that point, then, it may e worthwhile to see an ophthalmologist to get their opinion about that.

I already know that but if you agree that despite 7 years with the same company that there is a possibility that he could make a mistake, I will need a confirmation email providing our conversation and show it to him. The additional question would only be speculation anyway. There is no sign of macular degeneration in either retina. The question is that if the left eye has a slight cataract and not really affecting me much at all, in a normal male, what is the expectation in years before it will be a major problem and is Lutein the answer? Lutein as I understand is just about the retina and not the lens. Maybe Billberry would be better.

Doctor DanB : Well I think no matter how long someone has been doing this, there is the possibility to make a mistake--absolutely. But I have no way of proving that. As far as the cataract, no supplement you can take can reverse changes in the lens. You are also correct in that Lutein primarily shows benefit in the retina and there has been no evidence to suggest that it can help slow down or prevent the formation of cataracts.

Will I get this conversation in an email?

Doctor DanB : Not necessarily but there is, I believe, a share button that ifnyiunhover your mouse over it, will allow you to printout the conversation we've had.
Doctor DanB : That should say, if you hover

OK! Firefox won't allow a copy and paste but I will read what is said about Bilberry on the container, I am already taking it to re-absorb sugar for dieting "Bilberry received great notoriety in Europe when Bilberry jam was fed to Royal Air Force pilot's who flew nighttime bombing raids over Germany, Billberry is intended to provide nutrive support for normal, health eyes and circulation. Due you agree with the use of Bilberry even if there is no guarantee that it will slow down the cataract, as you said "reversal is impossible"?

Doctor DanB : I see no reason why you shouldn't use it--by all measures it sounds beneficial.
Doctor DanB : I'm sorry but I do have to step away from my desk for a few minutes. If you have further questions, please let me know what they are and I will be happy to address them when I return.  Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at anytime you feel this process has been helpful, please press the ACCEPT button, if you see it.  This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.  Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  Thanks for your inquiry!  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.