Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a whit discoloration over my right eye, but below my eyebrow.

I have a whit discoloration over my right eye, but below my eyebrow. My mom thinks its a calcium deposit, but I can't find images online to confirm. What else could it be? I've had it for several years, and it bothers me cosmetically.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is it possible for you to upload a picture using the paperclip on your screen so that I can have a look at it?

Customer: I don't see a paper clip, but I took a picture.... Any other ideas on getting it to you?
Dr. Rick :

Yes. You can upload it here:

Dr. Rick :

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.

Go to www.tinypic.com

Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.

This opens up files on your computer. Double click on the picture you want to upload then hit open (bottom right of the screen). This will take you back to the tinypic page. Hit "upload now" then do the secret code thing and your picture will upload into the system.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.

Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

Dr. Rick :

We keep missing each other :(

Dr. Rick :

Hi.

Customer: Trying to do the tiny pic thing, but having problems.... Not on a computer, on an iPad.
Dr. Rick :

I don't think it works with an ipad. I've had others try before without luck

Customer: Couldn't I email it to you?
Dr. Rick :

Yes, but it can take up to 24 hours for the email to be linked to me......you can send the picture to:

Dr. Rick : XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Customer: Should I write something like attention dr Rick in the subject line?
Dr. Rick :

Let them know it is a picture for DrRick on the eye thread and they will get it to me. Once I get the picture I will post my thoughts online and you will get an email letting you know.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, that is a good idea for the subject line.

Customer: Ok. Will hopefully hear from you tomorrow. Thanks
Dr. Rick :

At the end of this conversation I will switch over to the Q&A format so that we will then be notified by email anytime you or I post anything. It is a bit slower but works well with emailed pictures.

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like a plan. I will reply as soon as I get the picture. :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I'll let you know the moment I receive you photo....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did you ever get my photo?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I have not seen it yet.....let me check and see if I can find it.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Got it :) Sorry for the delay.....

That appears to be a sebaceous inclusion cyst. It is a benign (not a skin cancer) lesion that are caused by a "backed up" gland of the skin. When they are excised they are found to be full of a cottage cheese like material called keratin.

They are nothing to be worried about. If if bothers you an ophthalmologist can easily remove it for you in the office with local anesthesia.

Here is a good website from a reputable source that discusses this issue in more detail:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sebaceous-cysts/DS00979

Thank you for your patience while the picture slowly worked its way to me. But, one thing we have learned here is that -- truly --a picture is worth a thousand words! lol!

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks! I'll have to see who I can find locally... Is there an online rating system for doctors so I know I'm going to a good ophthalmologist?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
No. There is no online rating system like that although Angie's List may have reviewed some ophthalmologists in your area.

The best way to make sure you are going to see a good eye surgeon is to talk to friends, family and your regular doctor for names. That being said any ophthalmologist can help you with your issue.

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the positive feedback button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest