Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Ive been told by friends and family that on occasion that

Customer Question

I've been told by friends and family that on occasion that one of my round pupil moves. One ,goes up and is enlarged.but, the other one stays normal looking. Do you think I have Strabismus? Is it correctable? I'm 60 years old. It's very embarassing and I am not aware of it's happening.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Do you get double vision, significant headaches, or do you have a droopy eyelid?

I'm not a good chatter. Not famaliar with tht live chat room

not really

Doctor DanB : You're doing fine. Depending on whether there is any problems with the movements of the eyes, drooping of the eyelids or other symptoms, a mild difference in the size of the pupils is usually a benign (harmless) finding.  The cause of the difference in dilation can be a normal variant but it can also be a damaged nerve that is responsible for pupil function as well as moving the eye in certain directions or it could be a malfunctioning sympathetic nervous system nerve either in the head, neck or chest. Unfortunately because the signs of these are subtle only an ophthalmologist or neurologist can can say with any degree of certainty whether this is a normal variant (called physiologic anisocoria) or one of these uncommon problems I've just mentioned. If the size difference is no more than 2mm at any one time and is not accompanied by headache or eye pain, a droopy eyelid, changes in vision, double vision or other neurological symptoms then it is likely benign. If this is not the case then I would recommend seeing your eye doctor. 
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?

yes, I've seen my eye dr, but was not aware of my problem. Should he have noticed something was wrong? But then again, it doesn't happen all the time.

Doctor DanB : Youre right. Often times it doesnt show up at the doctors office. These are very rarely anything to worry about.

Should I go to an optmologist, instead of my regular vision dr,.that only checks my vision once a year?

Doctor DanB : Yes, that's the best idea. Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?     

No, but thank you very much!