Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Hello, I scratched my eye at least 3-4 weeks ago. I was doing

Hello, I scratched my eye at least 3-4 weeks ago. I was doing construction and I guess something small enough like wood got into my eye and scratched it on the right side of the white part. I asked a friend and he said it should go away in a few weeks. Not as bad as it used to be I guess. Its been about a month and would like to know is it permanent damage to my eye? No pain or anything.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Does it just feel like something is still in it? Is that why you're wondering about permanent damage?
Customer:

Nothing feel likes it's in it. Doesn't give me pain or any type of problem. Just had this reddish mark on my eye for a while. Just would like to know if its permanent damage or it takes a while for your eye to heal.

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Doctor DanB :

Thank you for those pictures. Unfortunately, they're still not close enough that I can tell exactly what's causing that mark--in other words, I can't tell if that's blood, pigment, or foreign-body. If it were blood, I would've expected it to have resolved by now. If it's still part of the foreign-body, then I do not expect this to go away unless someone were to surgically remove it. It's possible that if it were a metallic foreign-body, that this could represent some rust residue and if that's the case, then it's possible it may dissipate on it's own over time, but it's also possible that it stays there. I wish I could tell you more definitively than that, but unfortunately it would taken a much higher magnification view, essentially an exam, to determine that. I would say that if your eye is no longer bothering you (ie not red, painful, light sensitive, discharging or there is no change in your vision), then you may be okay to watch this for awhile. But ultimately, to get a definitive answer, you'll need to see an ophthalmologist. Does that make sense?

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

Customer:

When you say foreign-body, what do you mean exactlly?

Customer:

Also you know any procedures to remove this spot if I'm interested?

Doctor DanB :

Like the piece of wood you thought might have gotten in there, or a piece of metal. Something that is foreign to your body that may have gotten in there that doesn't belong there.

Doctor DanB :

Yes, it would likely be amenable to surgical excision. Something that may even be able to be done in your ophthalmologist's office.

Customer:

Right, that makes sense. Thank you

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry! If this has been helpful in addressing your concerns, please hit the ACCEPT button. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.