Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My son 22 yo developed a very-very pink and swallen eye on Friday morning. Too much for a

My son 22 yo developed a very-very pink and swallen eye on Friday morning. Too much for a conjunctivites.. Emergency room physician did not see any skratches and gave him antibiotic drops on Saturday night. On Sunday 6 PM he is having 103F. We intend to go to an ophtalmologist on Monday. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 4 years ago via HealthCare.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Was there any trauma to his face/eye/head?
Customer:

I asked this question (several times) and the answer is No, although he mentioned waxing his car (without protective eye glasses) 2 days before the simptoms and that "there was a strong wind."

Doctor DanB : Do you know if he's been having any sinus congestion or problems?
Customer:

No

Customer:

Correction: he is having sinus congestion and sore thoat starting this Sunday morning

Doctor DanB : When there is significant eye swelling combined with high fevers then there is a string possibility if an infection. It could be primarily from the orbit (tissues around the eye), or it could be a sinus infection breaking through the walks of the orbit causing swelling around the eye. Does that make sense?
Customer:

Yes, it certainly looks like an infection in the orbit... Also three weeks ago both of his eyes were red in the evening and he had a a "cold", which quickly dissappeared in a day

Doctor DanB : That could've marked the start of the infection. Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

What should we do prior to seeing an ophtalmologist on Monday?

Doctor DanB : I would start with Tylenol and/or Ibuprofen, combined with warm compresses over the eye.
Customer:

Ok, thank you

Doctor DanB : You're welcome. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at anytime you feel this process has been helpful, please press the ACCEPT button, if you see it.  This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.  Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  Thanks for your inquiry!  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.