Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

hi my daughter got a swollen eye in the morning and i got a

Customer Question

hi my daughter got a swollen eye in the morning and i got a swollen eye in the afternoon. i felt itchy in my eye, i rubbed it and my eye is swollen, it is very uncomfortable not just the swelling. Should i go to doctor immediately, or can i go tomorrow
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

yes Doctor

Doctor DanB : I think what you have is allergic conjunctivitis and it doesnt necessarily require going to the doctor. Let me elaborate...
Doctor DanB : there are some steps you can take to begin to rid yourself of its symptoms. First of all, it is important to control the eye's response to allergens and this would include taking an antihistamine drop; a couple of over-the-counter brand names include Alaway or Zaditor and they both work fairly well. If you try these and it helps but is not quite enough, then you may do better with a prescription allergy drop called Pataday which works very well.  If this still isnt enough then you may be necessary to start an oral antihistamine such as Claritin or zyrtec which you can buy over-the-counter if this isnt helping.     Lastly, cold compresses done several times/day can and will help the itching sensation and suppress the inflammation.Your symptoms should start to respond to this quickly.  Does that make sense?

it is very uncomfortable and little painful, what should i do, and what could have caused this, i am worried because my daughter also has swollen eye

Doctor DanB : Did you see my response?

sorry, i see you suggested to tr the eye drops

pain is normal doctor?

Doctor DanB : Yes, it certainly can be painful. Supplementing with artificial tears can help this pain.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?     

no i am ok doctor

thanks for your help

Doctor DanB : Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at anytime you feel this process has been helpful, please press the ACCEPT button, if you see it.  This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.  Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  Thanks for your inquiry!  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.