Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My vision in my right eye on 8/23/11 before cataract surgery

Customer Question

My vision in my right eye on 8/23/11 before cataract surgery was

Sphere 4.50 Cylinder -3.00 axis 085 which reading addition of 2.50

On 5/7/12 the doctor put in an Acrysof IQ IOL lens model SN60WF power: 25.0 D
Length ()T) 13.0 mm Optic (0B) 6.0 mm

My vision a week after the surgery was Sphere -5.25 Cylinder +3.00 axis 165 add +2.50

I can barely see the big E on the chart now. Did he put in the wrong corrective lens?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:
Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Did your eye surgeon mention about any intraoperative problem ?

Customer:

I had radial keratotomy in 1994

Dr. A.S. Desai :

ok

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I can see that you are typing so I'll wait for your response.

Customer:

I am having trouble sending - we may have to use email

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The IOL is exactly what is indicated for those with astigmatism so I guess the choice of IOL is absolutely fine.

Customer:

If you mean trouble during surgery the answer is no

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The only reason why I asked you about any intraocular complication is that your vision has remained almost the same after the surgery with IOL implantation.

Customer:

So what does the 25.0 D mean = is that the vision part

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, 25D is the IOL power.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Actually the IOL power would have been expected to be much much lesser in the range of 12D-14D considering the myopia you had prior to surgery.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess it makes sense to go back to your surgeon to verify if there has indeed been a mistake in the IOL power calculation.

Customer:

Wouldm

Customer:

Wouldn't that make my eye more susceptible to retinal detachment to have the cataract redone

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Though difficult, it is possible to explant an IOL and replace it with the required corrective IOL.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

As long as there is no intraoperative complication and the vitreous is not disturbed, the IOL can be replaced.

Customer:

Unfortunately, I had light flashes and went to a retinal specialist. I have a membrane forming in front of the retina and it is now cone shaped so I think when he did the cataract surgery it pulled it away

Customer:

If I just got corrective lenses could I be put at 20/20

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. It is likely to be an epiretinal membrane(ERM) in that case. That puts a bit of uncertainity about the visual result even after the exchange lens. In presence of an ERM, the visual acuity even after a good cataract surgery is uncertain as it involves the centre of vision.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It would be better to consult a retinal specialist for the status of the ERM and regarding the impact of exchange of IOL on it, before going ahead with repeat surgery.

Customer:

Okay, thank you

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How to I print my answer

How do I print my answer

The answer will be saved here and you can print this page anytime.First right click on this page and click on save page- save it to the desktop. From desktop you can again right click and press print.