Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Irritation in upper eyelid

Irritation in upper eyelid
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you 12 years old or are you asking this question on behalf of a 12 year old? Under 13 years are supposed to take the help of an adult to ask a question on their behalf.

Customer:

hello

Customer:

I am asking on behalf of my 12 yr old daughter

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. Apart from irritation does she have any redness / itching or watering from that eye? Any foreign body ( dust/dirt or any tiny speck) in that eye?

Customer:

No. I checked her eye. I did not find any foreign body in her eye. There is no redness. No watering. But it seems to irritate her

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Common causes for irritation in the upperlid are sub-tarsal conjunctival foreign body( a tiny foreign body such as a speck of dust can get stuck on the under surface of the upperlid and can only be seen by everting the upperlid under bright light), misdirected eyelash which is constantly rubbing the eye, allergic conjunctivitis.

Customer:

I checked to see for a misdirected eyelash - but did not find it.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Could you please evert her upperlid once just to confirm there is no sub-tarsal FB.

Customer:

Ok.

Customer:

I have checked to see that there is no foreign body

Customer:

But will wait for sometime. If her eye is still irritable, I will have to drive her to a hospital

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Alright if there is no sub-tarsal FB or misdirected eyelash then I guess whatever must have caused the irritation is out of her eye. The symptoms tend to persist for a while till the tissue on which the FB was lodged gets back to normal( say a couple of hours). In the meanwhile start putting lubricating eye drops such as over the counter preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 -6 times a day.

Customer:

Ok, Thanks for your input on this issue.

Customer:

Will put some eye drops in her eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Here is an image which shows the most common site for lodgement of a FB which can get missed out easily.-http://www.tedmontgomery.com/the_eye/eyephotos/pics/SubtarsalForeignBody.jpg

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hope she feels better soon with the eyedrops.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer:

Ok, Thank you very much!

Customer:

Your feedback was very helpful!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I am glad to have assisted you. Take care.