Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My mother s old is 85 years (birth on April 18, 1927). According

My mother 's old is 85 years (birth on April 18, 1927).
According to the doctor, Dry Macular Degeneration OD, and Vitreous Hemorrhage OS, so doctor suggest for Vitrectomy.

Due to my mothers age 85 years, we as the her children are affaraid to do the Vitrectomy.
And also my mother have a high blood up to 180-200 .

My mother stay on the small town in West Kalimantan, last month she came to jakarta and visit the doctor in Rumah sakit Cipto mangunkusomo and the doctor suggest to have Vitrectomy, But not yet. We are extremely affarid.

Any other to silve my mother 's eye? without Vitrectomy?

Thank you very much

Herlina Sitompul.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am a retina surgeon and specialize in vitrectomy surgery.

Dr. Rick :

How long has it been since your mom had her vitreous bleed? Has it shown any signs of clearing? If her vitreous blood precludes an exam of her retina has her eye been evaluated by a B scan? What medical problems, other then high blood pressure, does she have and what medicines does she take? Is her blood pressure controlled on medicines or does it really run in the 180-200 mmHg systolic range? Other then dry ARMD in her right eye does your mother have any other ocular conditions, history of surgery or decreased vision?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I know that I asked a lot of questions but if you could go through them one at a time and answer as best as you can it will help me to give you a more useful response.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My mother had been operated Katarak for both her eyes on more than 2 yeras ago. I thought after her Katarak was operated, my mother can see with the eys OS and the doktor laser it. (befre laser it we ask rhe doctor who operated my mother 's eye. and the doctor said it's OK). But my mother can not use the eys, can not see. So a moth 's ago, my mother visit the doctor, and the doctor said it shoul be vicrectomy. It surprised us.

Is there any medicine to help my mothers ' eyes?

Thank you very much

Lina Sitompul

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, there is no medicine that will do the job of a vitrectomy to clear the blood from her eye. If she has a non clearing vitreous hemorrhage vitrectomy is her best option.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest