Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I havve a problem with my eyes, I had a appointment with a

Customer Question

I havve a problem with my eyes, I had a appointment with a eye specialist and she told me i had a shadow at the back of my left eye ,they took a blood test and told me i must go into hospital and said something about a contrast x-ray.I have had headaches for 3 weeks now ,a spell of black spots a few times, a grey shadow over the left eye 1 time only and i feel nausiated ,what can be wrong! Ellen.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Can you tell me more about what the doctors told you and specifically what tests they have ordered? Also, how long has this been going on?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medicine?

Dr. Rick :

Do you remember them using the term "amarousis Fugax"?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I look forward to your responses so that we can get a better idea of what the doctors are talking about. With what you have told me so far it is very difficult to pin down what they mean.

Don't despair, however; as I am sure that with a bit more information I can help you to better understand what is going on with your eye.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hallo again,No mention of any Amarousis Fugax,allshe said was a kontrast x-ray ,i do not know if it is the same as in English but it is an injection inthe arm i think with some kind of liquid.Ido have medication for high blood pressure Amlodipin and co aprovel i take 1 of each every morning. have had this problem 4or5 weeks now but i put it down to old age yet i donot feel old! I must say i am worried. thank you for being so helpful.Ellen
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
It sounds like your doctor may be talking about a fluorescein angiogram. This is a test that is done in the ophthalmologists office where dye (fluorescein) is injected into your arm and lots of pictures are taken of the back of your eye. As a retina specialist this is a test that I do every day in my office. It is very safe, gives the doctor a lot of information about the status of your retina and is nothing to worry about.

I would suggest you go ahead with this test and not worry :-)

I do not believe that this eye issue is caused by your high blood pressure or the medicine you are taking....and just because you have lived a long and happy life is no reason for you to have eye problem...so it's not form "old age" :-)

At this point I don't have enough information to tell you what is causing the gray shadow over your left eye or your headaches but, from what you have told me, it sounds like you are getting excellent care.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)

If you have a chance I'd like to hear how thing are going and what the angiogram showed.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I was just thinking about you and wondering how you were doing. Has your eye doctor finished the tests we discussed? If so, what did they show?

I would be happy to review what the doctor found and tell you more about what is going on if you would like.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hallo and thank you for your concern,i got a letter from the eye clinic on Friday and i have an appointment for the 19th,of June.I will let you know the results.Kindest regards Ellen.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here