Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have a question. I normally wear PureVision (one Toric) soft

I have a question. I normally wear PureVision (one Toric) soft lenses. I recently stopped wearing them for about two months since I ran through my prescription faster than expected. I eventually got some more and wore them continuously for maybe three weeks. I do sleep in these (though I tend to remove them over the weekends for at least a day or two). I recently learned I have to have a huge invasive eye exam, about as comprehensive as you can get. As in, they quoted me it'll be about two hours long (though I assume that includes dilation). Anyway, they also say not to wear my lenses for 30 days prior. I didn't get this memo early enough.

I immediately stopped wearing my lenses, but this exam is a do-or-die thing. I cannot afford to wait 30 days due to circumstances beyond my control. I understand wearing soft lenses thickens the epithilium, but I've also heard that silicone hydrogel users' epithilium can return to normal in as little as a week.

Like I said, I'm definitely not going to be able to spare 30 days, this exam must happen, and the sooner the better. I'm currently looking at about a week of glasses time but I'm understandably anxious. I need this exam to go well ASAP and I very much want to know what is the best guess as to the minimum time you would imagine I could 'get away with' not wearing the contacts in order to give them an acceptable result (for whatever it is they're looking for).
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

In order to answer that question, I would need to know the purpose for the exam. Is this an evaluation for laser refractive surgery?

Customer:

Hello Doctor

Customer:

No, it's not - it's an indepth exam for a job that requires good visual health

Customer:

I tried for PRK and got denied due to a corneal scar :(

Customer:

I know it's an extremely odd question but the timing they gave me couldn't be worse. the exam must happen before the application can be sent, the application must be sent before a certain time and then I have to wait for the response, and this all has to happen extremely quickly as it's pretty much the only shot i'm going to get at this

Doctor DanB :

Okay, in that case, I do not think being out of your contact lenses for less than the required period of time will make that much of a difference, at least in my opinion. That stipulation is so the tissues of the eye (namely the cornea, but the sclera as well), can return to their normal, non-molded (by the contact lenses) shape and therefore your true refractive error (need for glasses or contact lenses) can be discovered. This can take up to 2-3 weeks for some people, hence the 30 day request to make absolutely sure that any molding done by continuous contact lens wear isn't happening. This type of request is usually done only for an evaluation for LASIK, but I can't imagine that it would make that much of a difference in whether or not you get the job, as the difference this would make in knowing your overall refractive error would be relatively negligible. If this were laser surgery, it would make a difference. But if this information is just going to be used in data gathering about the overall health of your eyes, I can't see how this would disqualify you from getting an adequate, thorough exam. Does that make sense?

Customer:

absolutely

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

Customer:

I was mostly concerned that there was some sort of inner... thing they could see that would immediately start yelling about it :)

Doctor DanB :

No, I really don't think that is the case.

Customer:

That's a relief, I hope this goes well for me.

Customer:

Thank you for the help

Doctor DanB :

I hope it does too. You're welcome. Good luck.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry! If this has been helpful in addressing your concerns, please hit the ACCEPT button. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology