Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

Starting about 5 days ago, I had tenderness/slight itchiness

Starting about 5 days ago, I had tenderness/slight itchiness on my left eye. I didn't attend to it much during the subsequent days, but do recall wanting to rub my eye a few times during the 5 day interval. Last night, the irritation was back in my awareness and I pressed on the outside of my eyelid and realized it was really painful when touched. I looked under the lid, and inside my upper eyelid (approx. 1/4" away from the lash line; seemingly pretty far away given the size of the eye) was a small white bump (approx. 1/8" in diameter, larger than most pimples). This morning I awoke to a swollen eye and crusty yellow eye discharge. The eye is now more tender even just during a blink.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Your symptoms are quite characteristic of an internal hordeolum. It is an acute infection of one of the meibomian glands( modified sebaceous glands present in the lids).

Customer: Yes. I have a meeting to attend at 8:30 (less than an hour)
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Wow! you really have very little time for any kind of a quick fix for this.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Unfortunately warm compresses is the mainstay of therapy as it not helps to relieve the swelling and pain but also helps to drain the pent up secretions.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

This method would take a couple of days atleast to show results.

Customer: True. Forgive me for writing from my phone. A compress, okay. This isn't likely to be conjuntivitous or contagious? Should I try to see someone immediately? I'm attending an advanced professional training that I was selected for I don't want to miss, for two more days
Dr. A.S. Desai :

For a faster recovery one can take a short course of oral antibiotics such as Tab.Amoxycyllin 500 mg twice a day for 5 days along with Tab. Acetaminophen 500 mg twice a day to relieve the tenderness.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No it is not contagious and you can continue to attend your professional training.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

For taking the above mentioned tablets you would need a prescription for which you can approach a general practitioner too.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No there is no urgency in seeing a doctor for this. But you can start the warm compresses as early as possible.

Customer: And, the fact that my entire upper eyelid has begun to swell in the last 12 hours is also consistent with this expected diagnosis? If I did sneak in a doctor visit, it would simply be to recover more quickly?
Customer: Will a little heat from the shower help at all?
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, the entire lid getting swollen up shows that it is spreading and needs oral antibiotics at this stage. No, Shower heat would not be sufficient. It is better to do the traditional way- dip a clean cloth in warm ( more warm ) water and keep it on the eyelid for a few minutes. Keep doing this for 10-15 mins and repeat 12 hours later.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer fo you in this regard?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

for

Customer: Okay, thanks Dr. Desai. Last question, if I apply the warm compress for 10-15 minutes at least twice a day, for the next 3-4 days looking for improvement are there any changes/symptoms that suggest I should go to the doctor immediately?
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Otherwise one should expect to see improvement with warm compresses alone within a day and it might even help to drain out the pent up secretion resulting in disappearance in swelling and tenderness.

Customer: Okay, thank you. I'm trying to sneak in one round of the compress before my meeting starts. Thanks again for your help
Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome. All the best for your training and hope you get better soon.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.