Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

i saw a eye specialist yesterday, and he looked at my eyes

Customer Question

Dr.Rick,

i finally saw the eye specialist yesterday, having been refered by the general optometrist and he looked at my eyes with his equipment. I said i couldnt afford some of the testing which required huge fees...so he did the tests which were more affordable for me...he also arranged to have the expensive testing to be done by me hospital facilities instead of his clinic so as to save me the extra cash. Anyways, he sort of said i had really thin optical nerve, and he was suspicious it could be degeneration or eye damage.. could this be the result of frequent usage of eye drops for chronically bloodshot eyes as a child? and if it was so 'thin' as he put it or 'not much optic nerve there' (sic)...what does this mean? that i m susceptible to loss of sight or what does not 'much nerve' mean really?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.
Sorry didn't realise this question is for Dr.Rick . I guess he will be online soon and will answer your question. I'll withdraw my reply for the moment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's ok, please answer it if you can..it doesn't have to ne dr Rick
anymore!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr Desai

I highly regard Ophthalmologists as the one i saw was one! please help!
Did the eye doctor who examined your eyes find any signs suggestive of glaucoma? Or was there only mention of very little optic nerve fibres with no other contributory findings? What tests did he do at his office?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was a glycoma work up from a general optometrist ..who tested certain weaknesses...disk to cup ratio was out or abnormally large on one eye..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But could you outline the general meaning of little nerve being there please?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. Sorry for the delay in replying to you but I am currently on vacation for a week with my wife :)

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX for your help but, as I know it is now nighttime on your sided of the planet so I'll be happy to take over....
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Coiuld you answer my question first ?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. I am glad that your ophthalmologist is able to have some of the more expensive testing done at the hospital where it will be more affordable for you.

The use of drops to get "the red out" as a child most likely don't have anything to do with what is going on now. It is possible from what you have posted, however, that you may be suffering from a form of glaucoma. Glaucoma can cause the optic nerve rim to become thin ( called a large cup to disk ratio).

It is important to follow your ophthalmologist's advice and not delay any part of your workup or treatment. Ignoring this problem can lead to total, lights-out blindness. It is nothing to mess around with. In the vast majority of cases, however, glaucoma can be successfully treated and your vision preserved.

Does this make sense to you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What kind of treatment will usually be served with glaucoma condition? Pills, surgery ?!
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
usually eye drops first, then if needed laser treatment and/or surgery.

Here is a very good website on this topic from a well respected source:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/glaucoma/ds00283/dsection=treatments-and-drugs