Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

sudden onset of bloodshot in one eye. no pain or discomfort.

sudden onset of bloodshot in one eye. no pain or discomfort. condition happened afte a long session in a garden in a high wind condition. three days ago, no improvrment. thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Good morning. You have experienced a subconjunctival hemorrhage, a very common condition.

Dr. Rick :

First of all, stop the visine. It will not get this red out (no matter what it says on the bottle ;) and it will just irritate your eye.

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

My system show that you are in the chat room. Are you there and available to talk?

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick :

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure if you could see my posts on the chat system so please allow me to copy them here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick : Good morning. You have experienced a subconjunctival hemorrhage, a very common condition.

Dr. Rick : First of all, stop the visine. It will not get this red out (no matter what it says on the bottle ;) and it will just irritate your eye.

Dr. Rick : In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick : My system show that you are in the chat room. Are you there and available to talk?

Dr. Rick : We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick :

It was a pleasure to assist you with your question. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.

I'm sorry about any problems our current technical difficulties may have caused. Take care and have a good day.