Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Whenever i close my eyes, i see flashes of lights, it never

Whenever i close my eyes, i see flashes of lights, it never stops, i cant sleep with it. Even in the day time, or in the night time, i see white flashes of light everytime. Is this something serious because it has been troubling me a lot.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 2 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

When did this begin?

Dr. James :

Flashes of light can be serious.

Dr. James :

The flashes could be from a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam in precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.

Customer:

Also when i try to concentrate more to see what that thing is, i tend to see hairy insect like things sometimes red colored or sometimes green colored. If i visit the doctor what am i supposed to say to him? What to check for?

Customer:

I only see the flashes when i close my eyes, everything is normal with my eyes open

Dr. James :

when you visit the doctor, tell him that you see flashes of light coming from your eyes.

Dr. James :

your doctor will dilate your eyes and check for any retinal problems.

Customer:

You see, i am not seeing the flashes of light with eyes open. I am seeing them with eyes closed.

Dr. James :

i understand that.

Dr. James :

an eye exam is still recommended.

Customer:

What can be the other possibilities than retinal displacement.

Customer:

All this started when i tried practising lucid dreaming.

Customer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream
Dr. James :

it can be ocular migraines.

Dr. James :

or other retinal inflammation.

Dr. James :

do you have any other questions?

Customer:

I have been inhaling petroleum solvent. Can that cause a problem?

Customer:

It is called Whitener Diluter.

Dr. James :

yes, as that affects the brain and can affect the portion of the brain that process vision.

Customer:

Can that be cured?

Dr. James :

you must stop immediately.

Dr. James :

it is uncertain.

Dr. James :

you should see your medical doctor for a full neurologic exam.

Customer:

ok, so i should go and tell that i want i full neurologic exam.

Dr. James :

yes, and also tell your doctor about the solvent.

Customer:

I am scared to do that.

Customer:

Cant i say some other medical term to not make the situation awkward

Dr. James :

no.

Customer:

Ok.

Dr. James :

you must be truthful to you doctor.

Dr. James :

leaving out this key information will lead to false diagnosis.

Customer:

Ok, thanks Dr james.

Dr. James :

you're welcome.

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for assisting you today.

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon