Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Hi, Yesterday, I went for an eye examination and I was diagnoised

Yesterday, I went for an eye examination and I was diagnoised having .25 power in both my left and right eye. The doctor told me that I do not need to wear glasses for this power as my vision is good and it is mild power. I am 27 yrs old and hence I agree with her on this.

The next diagnosis was that I have some allergies in my eye and I have been advised to start off with FML eyedrops (4 times a day) & PATADAY eyedrops (2 times a day) and REFRESH TEARS drop (4 times a day) giving 10 min gap between different drops. THe doctor asked me to come in after a week's time to examine my eyes again to see the allergy effect.

Now i have some questions:
1. I have been crying a lot over past many months (atleast 1 or 2 times a day). Could this be the reason for allergy in the eye , due to constant rubbing ? I didnt mention it to the doctor, as I was uncomfortable with telling her this
2. Do I need to take the 3 eye drops that she has prescribed? She said FML & PATADAY will ease the allergy and Refresh tears will get rid of dryness. I am of with using Refresh tears drops, but I am a bit skeptical on using the other two drops as I am not sure if it is all the crying that caused the issue

PLease advise me.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 2 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Do you have any itching of your eyes?

Customer:

Hi Doctor. Yes I do have itching in my eyes towards the end of the day. Usually after 8.30 PM when I get back home from work

Dr. James :

Itching of the eyes is characteristic of ocular allergies.

Dr. James :

It is possible you have ocular allergies.

Dr. James :

The crying/tearing can be a result of that as well.

Dr. James :

You can try the FML and pataday to see if that improves your symptoms.

Customer:

Actually the crying is due to some other problems at home. Not due to pain in the eye or anything.

Dr. James :

The FML is a corticosteroid. It is stronger and has potential side effects of cataract formation and/or glaucoma.

Customer:

Thats why I am not sure if I have allergies in the eye or due to excessive crying

Dr. James :

so what eye symptom are you most concerned about ?

Dr. James :

if the tearing is emotional, then no needs for drops.

Customer:

My concern is did I cause a problem to my eyes due to crying ? Since i was examined under 2 different huge devices ( sorry for the lack of my knowledge here) before she said she noticed allergies around my eye.

Customer:

And if my crying stops, will this damage to the eye also reduce without using drops

Dr. James :

Emotional crying will no damage your eyes.

Dr. James :

It may cause irritation of the eyelids from the constant rubbing.

Customer:

Ok Doctor. So do I need to start the eye drops - FML & pataday and go for a visit to the doctor after a week

Customer:

or can I leave out the drops and continue my normal rouitne

Dr. James :

it sounds like the crying is from emotions.

Dr. James :

then no need to start the drop.

Dr. James :

you may want to try the pataday only since it has low side effects.

Customer:

Ok Doctor. I will do that.

Dr. James :

if you use the FML, you should see your doctor again to check you eye pressure.

Customer:

I am scheduled for an appointment again next week. SHe has asked me to come in for re-examination

Dr. James :

you can cancel that if you do not use the fml.

Dr. James :

if you are still having problems with your eyes and vision, then keep the appointment for a re-evaluation.

Customer:

Ok Doctor.

Dr. James :

Best wishes to you.

Dr. James :

Do you have any other questions I can help you with?

Customer:

Thats it Doctor. Thankyou for your time today.

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to accept so I can get credit for assisting you today.

Dr. James :

.

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon