Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

ra hl

Customer Question

saturday morning I woke up with hives,on my feet afew on my legs. I got on webmd and took some benadryl.By tuesday I couldn"t swallow and it felt like everything got stuck in my stenum area, It reminded me of the feeling when I had my Gallbladder removed, so i Quit the benadryl. I talked to my Pharmasist and he recommended Zyrtec. And today I took one in the morning. not long after my symtoms got worse.My face is all puffy and my eyes and now my whole body is covered with red splotches. I did reserch and found that nuts are a #1 cause and I have been eating sliced almonds in my salad 4 times a week for the last month. I'm a diabetic,besides my insulin I also take Gabapentin 300mg,clonazepam. I also Take mature multi vitamin,vitamin c,b-12,fish oil and just recently Biotin. I had a small case last year and my doctor sent me to the ER and they gave me predizone which I quit because it made my blood sugars go up into the 480;s.They also put me on an IV drip of125mg Soly Medrol. this just feels different , It;s been 5 days of misery.Help! What else can I do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, in my opinion, your current allergic reaction seems severe enough to warrant a trip to the emergency room.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
As I said, I believe you should go to the ER now for treatment. I don't like the fact that your face is swelling and you are having problems swallowing. This could be very dangerous.

It was a pleasure to assist you with your question. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.

If you would like to discuss this issue further I am online now and will standby for your response if needed.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
why do you think i need to go to the ER, I am online it's just that everything was going so slow i stepped away from my PC for a few minutes.and why I am I chatting with an eye expert?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I think the computer picked up on your comments about your eyes....the good news? I had to go to Medical School and do an Internal Medicine internship and work in an ER as a "real" doctor before I grew up and became a retina surgeon.....

It just seems to me that your reaction is serious enough to warrant prompt medical care to get it under control. I've seen patients like you going along with the swelling and reactions like you are reporting, doing just fine. And then. Wham. Their throat starts to swell closed and it rapidly turns into a life and death issue.

If this were to happen to you at home I do not think you would survive it.

Is there a chance that everything will be OK and this won't happen? Sure, as a matter of fact that would be the most common outcome. But, if you were my friend or family member who reported symptoms like you have posted I'd haul you to the ER, kicking and screaming if I had to be on the safe side.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
YOU STILL DIDN'T ANSWERE MY ? ABOUT MY EYES. I HAVE HIVES ALL OVER MY BODY!
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
yes. I understand that you have hives all over your body as well as swelling of your face and issues with swallowing. I only mentioned your eyes in the context of how your question got shunted to the eye section.

I think your condition is beyond the point where OTC meds and taking care of things by yourself is going to work. If you don't feel that you need to go to the ER tonight I'd see your primary care MD first thing in the morning.

For relief you could take a cool bath tonight and take two benadryl tablets to take the edge off and help you sleep.

It's safe for you to press the accept/positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Oops! I'm sorry. There is no need to accept again. I'd forgotten that you had already pressed that (wonderful and fun to push) button lol!

I hope you feel better soon. Let me know how things turn out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
DID YOU UNDERSTAND THAT SINCE I'VE BEEN OFF THE BENEDRYL MY SWALLOW IS BETTER, BUT THE HIVES ARE GETTING WORSE, I WILL NOT TAKE TWO OF THEM AS THEY MADE ME FEEL WORSE. I'M A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT THE ZYRTEC BEACAUSE MY HIVES GOT WORSE. I NEED TO WORK TOMARROW AND CAN'T AFFORD THE ER. ALSO OUR CLOSEST ER IS A JOKE. AND THE BETTER PLACE TO GO IS OVER 50 MILES AWAY. YOU ARE FREAKING ME OUT!
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I sure didn't intend to freak you out or get your caps button stuck on ;)

I'm sorry that your local ER sucks but I really think, from what you have told me, that your reaction is beyond self treatment with OTC remedies.

Since your swallowing is better, which I didn't realize, I don't think you need emergent treatment as much as I did before. I do, however, think that a day off from work spent seeing you internal medicine doc will be time well spent.

I know that if I was in as much discomfort as you must be that I would be worthless at work. But, of course, I'm a guy and we don't do pain very well at all lol!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
YOU'RE FUNNY! I didn't realize my caps were stuck on. but i have been 4 hours on this $^%$ SIGHT. I will see how tonight goes and if its still bad in the AM i'll go to my doc, He's ok. he works close to us but in a one horse town (actually about a 100 horse town) cowboy town very laid back,,,in the middle of nowhere...Thank you for your advice, and I will certainly take your opinion seriosly. ( not a good speller} but you know what I mean. Thank You and i will pay you for your time !
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
No problem. It was just a bit hard on my ears....or was it my eyes? Oh....this internet thing can be soooo confusing ;)

It sounds like a wonderful town to live in. I've had horses my entire life and the outside of a horse is very good for the inside of a human....unless you allergic, of course ;-)

Take care and I hope you can get some sleep.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I was thinking about you and wondering how you are doing. Is your allergic reaction under control?