Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

can any optometrist test for aniseikonia?

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. It is funny that you ask about this, now very rare, condition as I did research on this topic many years ago when I was a medical student.

I would very much doubt that you will find many optometrists, or even ophthalmologists, who know how to test for aniseikonia let alone have the equipment to do so.

In the late 80's I studied aniseikonia in patients who had one artificial intraocular lens in an eye after cataract surgery while being aphakic in the other eye. It was a very interesting study at the time however, these data are not really pertinent in today's world of bilateral pseudopakic patients.

In order to measure the degree, if any, of aniseikonia present I used a 3-D, stereoscopic space Eikonometer -- a very advanced instrument for it's time. I doubt that anyone has one of these sitting around anymore, although you could contact New York Eye and Ear hospital and see if mine is sitting around in a storage room somewhere....If they still have it, I still know how to use it :-)

Does this make sense to you?

It was a pleasure to assist you with your question. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your response...well, now i know that its rare...i have noticed for years that the image in my left eye appears slightly smaller than the one in my right eye...i have never mentioned it because the prescription in my left eye is a little stronger than the one in my right and i assumed that was the reason....it is somewhat annoying, and, i really dont know how to describe the effect it has on ones overall vision...strained, i guess..

do you just live with it?...i have experimented with holding one lens slightly farther away (the right one) , but i dont know if you could make a frame to hold them in that position..

anyway, it was quite a search on the internet to just find a description of the condition..first time i have heard the term "aniseikonia"

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Now a days you will be very hard pressed to find a lab who even knows how to make the glasses I used to help my professor prescribe over 30 years ago.....sorry about that. If it is not really making your life impossible I'd just live with it.

I was very intrigued to see your question posted -- this is a topic I've not thought of in decades...thank for bringing back the happy memories :-)

You must have been very persistent in your search to even come up with the word aniseikonia but, I will confirm that you have hit the nail on the head when it comes to finding the label for your problem...and you probably found one of a handful of ophthalmologists who remembers anything about it :)

Like I said, if you call NYE&E, or some of other major ophthalmology teaching hospitals you might be able to find some old coot like me who can fix your eyes if you need....
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD