Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

What is causing this zigzag blurred vision in my eyes? Two

What is causing this zigzag blurred vision in my eyes? Two nights ago I experienced a blurred zigzag problem in my eye that went from one eye starting in the corner and worked its way to the othere eye, went to the other eye again and then disappeared. I went to the ER because it scared me and the doctor said he could see nothing wrong. It then happened again twice yesterday and was followed by a mild pounding headache. I have had numbness in my mouth and throat that the doctors said were caused by anxiety that has happened for the last fout months. I don't know what to do about this or what is causing it and I can't get into my eye doctor for another week. A medical doctor on here said it sounds like retinal detachment. Can you help me?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

You are experiencing an ocular migraine

Dr. Rick :

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina surgeon and can tell you that your symptoms are NOT a sign of a retinal detachment in progress :)

Dr. Rick :

I, personally, have been suffering from this condition for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Could it have anything to do with me being pregnant. I have never experienced this before

Dr. Rick :

Many things can trigger migraines to suddenly start, become more frequent etc, and yes -- pregnancy is one of them. Just another little joy to add to the long list of the fun things to be found with being pregnant lol! (My oldest daughter is pregnant with our first grand baby so I'm personally dealing with this stuff almost every day right now....)

Customer:

Congrats! Thank you so much for your help. Good luck with your new grandbaby!

Dr. Rick :

And congrats to you too! Take care and try not to worry....

Dr. Rick :

It was a pleasure to assist you with your question. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.

Customer:

ok thank you