Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

What causes blue flashes in vision

Customer Question

What causes blue flashes in vision
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.
This is Dr. David

sometimes stress or pressure on the eye ball can cause short flashes of color.

there is not one thing which causes blue flashes in vision.

are you having problems with visual accuity and seeing clearly otherwise?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am an ophthalmologist.

The most common cause of blue flashes in your vision that occurs in one eye is a posterior vitreous detachment (PVD). This occurs in many people and usually doesn't cause any problems.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Does this make sense to you?

It was a pleasure to assist you with your question. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest