Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

i I asked a similar question a few days ago, but some conditions

i I asked a similar question a few days ago, but some conditions have changed. On Saturday, I was experiencing some soreness in my eye. I went to see an ER doctor for another problem completely unrelated and they looked at my eye and saw nothing wrong. Then on Sunday, the soreness dissipated but my right eyelid was spasming/twitching all day. On Monday, I went to see an Opthamologist who said he sees nothing wrong my eye and I don't have dry eyes. He said the discomfort may have been from inflammation. Since Sunday and once the inflammation improved substantianally, my eye has had this twitching/spasm feeling that comes and goes pretty much all day and the only relief I get is a hot compress or my rubbing the eyelid or squeezing the eyelid together. It occurred on the top eyelid for 2 days and now has moved down to the botXXXXX XXXXXd. If I looked at myself closely in the mirror, I can see the skin twitching below the eyelid. Briefly today, the left eye twitched but it didnt bother me at all.

I get better results from the gel lubricant drops than the fluid, although its temporary relief. Sleep or closing my eyes also helps. Is there any solution to this twitching/spasms of the eyelid? How can one concentrate or effectively do their job with this issue? How long can this last? Its really annoying me and bringing my morale down. I do not suffer from stress, I am a bit of an anxious person. I think this issue is more relieving when I am outside, but I cannot really formally make that a conclusion. I am sleeping just as much as usual and nothing in my life has substantially changed.

I also have been addicted to Naphcon for 10 years and the doctor has advised me to stop that as well. For the past couple days, I have cut the Naphcon to one drop per eye per day from as much as 3 times a day.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

What your experiencing is called myokymia.

Dr. Rick :

Myokymia is an involuntary, local twitching of a few muscle fibers in the body of a muscle. This twitching, if it occurs in a limb, is not strong enough to actually move a joint but can be felt and sometimes seen as an area of quivering.

Myokymia commonly involves the eyelids and muscles around the orbit. It often appears and resolves for no apparent reason and has not been linked to any underlying significant pathology. What causes myokymia? Studies have shown that it is associated with anxiety, stress, lack of good sleep, high caffeine intake and the use of some drugs.

The best way to treat myokymia is to get more sleep, decrease caffeine intake and decrease stress. The good news is that myokymia is not a sign of serious underlying pathology and often resolves on its own.

Here is an excellent article on this topic:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1213160-overview

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
It was a pleasure to assist you with your question. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok... is it normal that it would be on the top eyelid for 2 days and then move to the bottom eyelid for the past 2 days? And that I could visualize the movement of the skin underneath the eye?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Yes. All of these things are perfectly normal. There is nothing to worry about, everything will be fine :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before Im content, one last question.. is in unsual to feel a bit of the twitching in the other eye as well?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
No problem. I'm here to help as long as you need me :-)

It is actually pretty common to feel in on the other eye, and sometimes even on other parts of your face when you are suffering from myokymia. Any,and all, of the fine muscles in your face can become involved at any given time. Still. Nothing to worry about, even though it can get a bit annoying. :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.. Oddly enough, I think I had some quick twitching in my back as well just now. thanks
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure. Take care and let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

It's safe for you to press the accept/positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Rick,

Today is Day 5 of this lower eye lid twitching. It happens probably 10 times an hour and for at least 80% of my waking day. I know its benign and normal. In your experience, how long will this go on for? Months, weeks a few more days? Is 5 days very unusual?

Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to hear you are still having problems but, yes, this can go on for months sometimes and still it is nothing to worry about. :

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest