Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I will ask again...for some reason the Continue on the payment

Customer Question

I will ask again...for some reason the Continue on the payment page wouldn't click.
My husband had surgery for a retinal detachment 2 wks ago (11-1 o'clock). He rec'd the gas bubble, which has dissapated. What has not changed is the half donut shape scotoma in front of his visual field. the surgeon says its normal and be patient. but we din't see it listed as a side effect and my husband is really worried. will this scotoma resolve???
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I'm sorry to hear about the payment page issues you are having. In looking under your current username, there is no record of other questions you have posted. You might want to contact customer service at:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx and let them know about your problem. I am sure that they can assist you.

Customer:

The payment went through on the second try. Do you have an answer to the scotoma question?

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina surgeon. Did you hear your husband's surgeon use the term "giant retinal tear" or that he used perfluorocarbins to "iron the tear flat"?

Customer:

no

Dr. Rick :

I was not involved in that question.

Customer:

what do you mean

Dr. Rick :

Ok. So your husband had a vitrectomy, gas/fluid exchange and gas was left in his eye. The gas, as you have stated, is now gone and yet a visual defect persists.....correct?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

Nothing, other then another expert must have helped you on the other question. It is of no concern.

Dr. Rick :

It is perfectly normal for your husband to still be having visual loss at this point. The retina was not very happy when it was detached and it is, for lack of a better term, stressed out. Now that it is back in contact with it's food supply (the choroid) hopefully (not 100% sure) the vision will return and this blind spot will get smaller or even resolve.

Customer:

What do you mean, "nothing, other then another expert must have helped you on the other question. It is of no concern".

Dr. Rick :

I tell my post op patients that what retina function they have one year out is what they are going to get.....up until that time there is hope for improvement. Be patient is the key word here :-)

Customer:

so you have seen this in others?

Dr. Rick :

We are getting off track. We started dealing with your problem with the payment on your last question, then I said I have no record on my system of your last question, and then you said you paid anyway, and then I said it must have been another doctor you talked to and now we are going around in circles on this.....no problem...let's drop it and pretend this is a whole new question....

Dr. Rick :

I've been a retina surgeon for over two decades and I've seen almost everything by this point.......so, yes, your husbands experience is not uncommon.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like he is getting very good care. But. You have to realize. A detached retina is a very serious thing and it is possible that, even though the surgery went well, the vision may not return. And on top of that, he can expect to get a cataract in that eye in the next year or two....

Customer:

Thank you very much. It seems like I am talking to 2 people, am I?

Dr. Rick :

No. This is just one person. I'm DrRick. I am retina surgeon/ophthalmologist and one of about 10 ophthalmologists who answer eye problems on JustAnswer :-)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I was wondering how your husbands scotoma is doing. Has he noticed any improvement yet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for asking. He thinks it might have faded a little bit but it is still there. It still seems (to me) like this particular thing should not have happened as it was not in the literature given by the practice and it is not described when you look online about retinal detachment surgical recovery.

Still thank you again for your advice and input.

Bonnie

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Bonnie,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear that, at least, his scotoma is not any larger.

Hopefully it will continue to improve a bit.

Give your husband my best.