Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am having increasing difficulty making out pastel wording on a white background. For ins

I am having increasing difficulty making out pastel wording on a white background. For instance, I can't make out the wording under the heading "Testimonials" on this very web page. I have a 23-year history of systemic lupus and a 2-year history of Type II diabetes, I had bilateral cataract surgery last year with no complications. There are no recent medication changes. Do you have an idea about what could be causing my dimished ability to perceive contrast? Thanks for your help.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

If you close one eye at a time do both eyes seem to be having the same level of difficulty?

Customer:

It's in both eyes. I should add that my systemic lupus gives me other nervous system problems like the loss of hearing in one ear foir many years, my first asnf continuing symptom was internuclear ophthalmoplegia, I have balance problems and seizure-like symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Was your vision better say, a month, after your cataracts were removed and now it has become worse again?

Customer:

The cataract surgery didn't seem to have any impact on my color vision, although it deed improve my vision from 20/400 to 20/20!

Dr. Rick :

Not a bad improvement :-)

Customer:

It was amazing. I finally could see what all the fuss over high def TV was about!

Dr. Rick :

Well, with your history there are a few things that could be causing your issues. One of the most common, and easy to treat, is a clouding of the posterior capsule that is holding your artificial lenses in place. Here is some information on this condition:

Dr. Rick :

So I guess you rushed out and bought a 56 inch flat screen, eh? lol!

Dr. Rick :

When your cataract is removed a "bag" is left behind. This bag has a back surface called the posterior capsule. Your artificial lens (PCIOL) is placed into this bag during surgery.

In a number of patients, months or years after they had their cataract removed and an artificial lens placed inside their capsular bag, the back (posterior) part of the bag becomes cloudy. Some patients liken it to their cataract "growing back" and have symptoms of glare, blurry vision etc.

This is not a serious condition and is easily treated in your ophthalmologist’s office with a special instrument called a YAG laser. After putting a numbing drop in your eye a special contact lens is sometimes placed on your eye and, in a few brief moments, the YAG laser "removes" the cloudy posterior capsule. There is no post op recovery time needed, no patch, no drops and you can expect your vision to return within a few moments to hours.

The cloudy posterior capsule almost never "grows back" or gets re-cloudy.

Customer:

66-inches?? No, my $17K income didn't allow for that; I splurged on a little 19-inch TV. My color problem started about a year before the cataract surgery. Does that alter your opinion?.

Dr. Rick :

Sure does....

Dr. Rick :

As a retina surgeon the next area that I believe may be causing your loss of contrast sensitivity is a problem with the health of your macula. This is fairly common in diabetic patients and can sometimes be seen in lupus.

Dr. Rick :

Changes in the retina can be very subtle and difficult to see even when you are closely looking for them. Sometimes specialized testing, such as fluorescein angiography are necessary.

Dr. Rick :

The bad news? In many cases, even if subtle changes can be found in the macula, there is no effective treatment.....

Dr. Rick :

That being said, you might consider consulting with a retina surgeon to see if she can find anything going on...

Dr. Rick :

Tincture of Time is a powerful and useful medicine....but, as your ophthalmologist will attest, it doesn't always work as well as we would hope...

Dr. Rick :

Is it possible to change the contrast/colors on your computer?

Customer:

Yikes. No effective treatment does not bode well for continuing to use my computer, does it?. Can it get so bad that I'm left with just being able to see light? I don't want ALL the colors to fade out of my world!

Customer:

It msy be possible. I'llk have to track down a different expert for that . .

Dr. Rick :

In two decades of practice I've never had that happen to any of my patients, nor have I ever heard about it. Don't sell your computer just yet ;)

Dr. Rick :

There are retina specialists all over the place. Just google for a retina specialist in your area...

Dr. Rick :

or ask your ophthalmologist. Every cataract has a retina doc available to fish out the cataract when they drop it into the back of the eye.....

Customer:

Oh, that's so reassuring that it most likely won't get really bad. Yes, I will Google retina surgeons here in Seattle, and will talk with my ophthalmologist again.

Dr. Rick :

There are tons of retina docs in Seattle. As well as the Mother Store for REI outdoor equipment....my favorite place to shop lol!

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can help you with this morning?

Customer:

Are you from Seattle,too? No, Dr.Rick -- youve helped a great deal, yoi. I would like to ask a favor, though. Would

Dr. Rick :

No. I've been there though....

Dr. Rick :

Sure. What can I do?

Dr. Rick :

I'm in Northern Wisconsin

Customer:

Oops. I hit that reply button in the middle of my question. Would you consider a $20 payment instead of $38. My budget is pretty tight. If that won't work, you've certainly earned your fee.

Customer:

You're having a primary there today, right? Good luck with allt he turmoil there.

Dr. Rick :

I would, but I'm not sure how you can change the amount offered once the chat started. You could contact customer service and see how, or if, that can be done:

Dr. Rick :

I wish you the best of luck. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

I'm just a worker bee and don't get to play with important things like money...

Customer:

Calling customer service sounds reasonable. But I don't want it to affect your stats, if they keep track of such things. Thank you again. I WILL have a a good day. Right back at ya.

Dr. Rick :

Thanks.

Dr. Rick :

It was a pleasure to assist you with your question. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Take care and have a good day
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest