Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

The white part of my eye is swollen . It looks like a cyst

The white part of my eye is swollen . It looks like a cyst or ulcerative scleritis, there is some pain, hoever minimal. My vision isnot blurred, but it is hard to close my eye. I wear contact lenses, not wearing now. eye is getting red. No drainage or matting in the mirnung. My eyes have been fine all day, had shrimp for dinner and this occured in one eye, about 15 minutes later.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Is there any itching?

my hands itching like mad. My eye was itching initially. I thought I had a contact stuck in the corner of my eye. I got up, looked in the mirror, and my sclera was swelling

Doctor DanB : It sure sounds like you've had an allergic reaction. The Benadryl, prednisone and Zantac will all be helpful, as would taking an antihistamine such as Claritin, Zyrtec, or Allegra. Cool compresses would help limit the swelling in the eye as well. Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?

I had shrimp for dinner, can this happen with that?

Doctor DanB : Absolutely. Seafood can be a very antigenic (allergic causing) substance.

Do I need any ophthalmic drops

Doctor DanB : If there is significant itching then yes, allergy drops such as Alaway or Zaditor (OTC) would be helpful. If there is no itching, then you wouldn't necessarily need one.

how long does this last, I cannot drive too well

Doctor DanB : The swelling can last a few days, unfortunately. But hopefully if you do all of these treatment modalities, it would only last a day or two.

Does the swelling go down without incidence? or does vision become obscured

Doctor DanB : Usualky it does go down without incident; if the vision is affected it is usually only mildly affected and because of the alteration in the tear-film caused by the swelling.

how many hours apart do I continue these meds

I was at ER in waiting room four hours, no doctor had seen me, so I came home and did home remedy discussed above.

Doctor DanB : The Claritin or Zyrtec are once daily. The allergy drops are twice daily. Zantac is also twice daily. Prednisone is a prescription pill and would need to be taken as directed. But the cool compresses could be done as much as you want.

Thankyou so much, I feel much better knowing that I did the right thing so far. I will get some Claritin and stay home tomorrow, so as not to put anyone else at risk with my driving. I will get allergy drops too

Goodnight Dr Dan B.

Doctor DanB : And to you.