Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

MY CHILD WAS BORN WITH CATARCK ON THE EYES AND CATRACKS IN

Customer Question

MY CHILD WAS BORN WITH CATARCK ON THE EYES AND CATRACKS IN THE EYS .HE CAN SEE PROPOERY THE DR PUT LENSE ,BUT SE SAID THE RETINA DID NOT OOPEN.THAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP ME ,THAT CAN SEE
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am a retina specialist.

Dr. Rick :

Is your child now ten years old? At what age did he have the cataracts removed from his eyes?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Good Morning...at least it is Morning here in Wisconsin, USA :-)

Dr. Rick :

I can not see anything you are typing. Make sure to press the reply or enter button after you are done typing.

Customer:

yes he is 10 yr old.HE WAS 2YRS .YOU CAN CHAT

Dr. Rick :

Is he now completely blind?

Dr. Rick :

I saw what you just typed........keep it up :)

Customer:

NO BUT HIS SHIGT IS VERY DAD

Dr. Rick :

There are a couple of reasons that his sight is still very poor. It could be, as you mentioned, that he has problems with his retina that were present in addition to his cataracts. In this case, and at his age, there is really nothing that can be done at this point to improve things.

Customer:

HE CAN SEE A TWENTY SENT ON THE FLOOR,HE IS STRUGGELING TO KEEP UP IN SCHOOL

Dr. Rick :

It could also be that he had loss of vision due to his cataracts blocking his sight for the first two years of his life. This would have been treated with patching one eye at a time along with glasses. The window for this therapy to help is limited and, usually, what improvement you get by age 7 or 8 is what you can expect to have for your child's entire life. At 10 years old this therapy really won't help.

Dr. Rick :

I would expect from what you have posted that your son has had medical care from ophthalmologists and they have told you that they have done all that is possible. Would you say that this is a correct statement?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Dr. Rick :

I can't see your responses. I'm sorry that we are experiencing technical problems with the chat system. I'll see you over in Q&A......

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Your son might benefit from a low vision evaluation. This specialist may be able to find some type of aid that can help your son do better in school.

Here is a link to an organization that can help you to get this type of assistance for your son:

http://www.lighthouse.org/

I am online and will standby for your response in case you have any further questions for me....I'm sorry, once again, about the problems we had with the chat system
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the accept.....

I'm still here and we can continue to talk at no additional charge if you have more questions. Just post to this thread. :-)