Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My doctor is treating me for a viral infection of my right

My doctor is treating me for a viral infection of my right eye--Valtrex and steroid eyedrops-- she said there is scarring of the cornea and she may have to "scrape" it. What does this involve?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

I assumed I would get a written reply to my question. Where is it? And if the doctor is offline, when will he return?

Doctor DanB : Scraping of the cornea involves numbing the eye with an anesthetic drop followed by using a small spatula to scrape away portions of the cornea where the virus has built up on the most superficial layer of the cornea. This helps the infection to resolve quicker. Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense?  Do you have any other questions about this? It appears you are momentarily out of the chat room. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need; please just respond with any further needs and I will address them then.If not, Please help me get credit for my expertise and the time spent in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.