Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

hello, i am a 22 y/o male with not history of vision problems.

Customer Question

hello,

i am a 22 y/o male with not history of vision problems. I went to the eye doc due to an ocular migraine recently and was told that as an incidental finding, there were "nodules" on both of my irises. He said they could be cysts, moles, or may represent tumors, and to come back in a month to get them rechecked. This naturally freaked me out.

The lesion is only visible to me in one of my eyes and is less than 2mm in diameter, brown colored, circular, and well within the border of the iris. I had to look real close with a penlight to see it.

Because he said they are in both eyes, I am scared of them turning out to be cancer and me losing my vision altogether. However I feel that I am otherwise healthy and these could be like freckles or something? Do you have any idea about the chances of it actually being something bad?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Bilateral iris nodules could be iris cysts or neavi. Unless there is a change in their apperance or size or color it would be very difficult to know about the prognosis.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If these nodules remain the same and there is no change, then the likelihood of them being benign is very very high. They can be left alone and would not need any treatment in that case.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

That is why your docotor has asked you to get them reviewed after a month for observation.

Customer:

Ok, so he wants to see if there will be any changes in the lesion. I understand. Are iris neavi common cause of spots in the eye? I just dont want to needlessly worry myself

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But more often than not iris nodules seen on routine eye exam are benign in nature. Iris nevi are quite common and are often seen on routine eye exam.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

To be on the safer side these nevi are observed over months so as to confirm their benign nature.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I can understand your anxiety in this regard but I guess your eye doctor has advised the right thing about the follow up.

Customer:

Yea, its helps to have clarification. I didnt get a chance to ask him questions because I was nauseous from the migraine and left right away. Thanks for explaining this to me

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince