Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

NA - 130

Customer Question

Just got trial set of RGP bifocals contacts and am surprised how tiny the lenses are. How small should they be? I can see the edge of the lens when I look staight ahead. Very annoying. I have had RGP lenses before for about 10 years, 10 years ago. Dont remember them being this small or being able to see the lens edge. What is goal in optimal fit of these lenses?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

RGP contact lenses are smaller than the size of the cornea . That is why you get to see the edge of the lens over the cornea.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The soft contact lenses are larger than the corneal diameter and are thus not visible to the naked eye easily.

Customer :

I mean when I look through the lens with my eye, the lens edge is visble and blurry.

Customer :

The small lens floats off to the side of my cornea, lining up the lens edge close to the pupil.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. Probably the lenses are loose fit and end up sliding causing blurring of vision. Since you have trial lenses, you can ask your optometrist to give a better fit lenses.

Customer :

I had lasik done 10 years ago, and the vision slowly got worse and I want to see sharply again. Been usinf multifocal soft lenses for past year and half, but not satisfied. Thought the RGP might work better.

Customer :

Do you fit RGP contacts in your practice?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have any idea if you have astigmatism now?

Customer :

no astigmatism, but my cornea has a flatter surface now.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, I do a lot of soft contact lenses in my practice but remember about the RGPs during my training period.

Customer :

I think I need to speak with an expert in RGP fitting, but thank you for your time.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No problem. I will opt out of this question. Please do NOT press accept as of now.

Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic, your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, would still like an answer.

Thank you. Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.

Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still would like an answer

Please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right Professional .Nevertheless, because you are entitled to your money back with no questions asked, we will process your refund immediately, upon your request. Please accept our sincere apology. We hope you’ll think of us again when the need arises