Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

One of my eyelids gets irritated easily from soaps and moisturisers

Customer Question

One of my eyelids gets irritated easily from soaps and moisturisers (I used to have a stye in that eye a long time ago). Is there anything you would recommend for cleaning and moisturising the eye (when most products irritate my eye). Or should I just use a warm cloth?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Please wait for my response as this mode of Q&A is much slower than the live chat and will take a few minutes. Here we will have to send each other small text messages.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can't find your answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Could you post your answer again.

It is likely that you are having blepharitis in that eyelid. Blepharitis is an inflammation of the eyelid and can occur if the tiny meibomian glands in the eyelid get blocked ( modified sebaceous glands ). A simple home remedy is found to be quite effective in this condition. First of all you can continue with the warm compresses twice a day. Next is to give a gentle lid scrub with 50:50 diluted baby shampoo, to be applied to the outer side of the lid margin , gently with the help of a Q-tip. A gentle lid massage done with the help of fingers tips will alos help. By these measures the block in the ducts of the meibomian glands opens up and the inflammation gets reduced too.There is no specific recommendation for any moisturiser and you can use any brand which is suitable to your skin.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Please do not press the accept button again as you have already done so.
I hope you have seen the answer now.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think the baby shampoo irritates my eyelid a little bit. It gets a little bit red and puffy and stays within the eyelid for a little while. Is there any other eyelid cleaning product that you would recommend?

Also, my eyelid is a little puffy (and feels like it has something in it). How do I reduce the puffiness and irradicate the irritation/inflammation? Warm compresses may dry out my eyelid a little bit.

The redness and puffiness are definitely signs of blepharitis. Warm compresses are the best kind of therapy. For the dry eyes associated with it , you can start using over the counter preservative free lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day for 4 weeks. If baby shampoo irritates your lid then you can skip that and just try the gentle lid scrub with warm water with the help of your finger tips. If the lid remains inflammed inspite of these measures then it is better to consult an ophthalmologist as it would require a steroid eye ointment such as tobradex eye ointment( it is a prescription medicine).