Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My tears at night while sleeping turn into some kind of glue

Customer Question

My tears at night while sleeping turn into some kind of glue and for the rest of the day I am trying to keep this crystal like stuff from getting into my eyes from my eyelashes. Can you help? Thank You
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. Do your eyes itch?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think, then, what you are experiencing is called blepharitis and because the treatment for it is relatively benign, you might consider starting this treatment, while concurrently using artificial tears. In order to treat blepharitis, everyday in the morning you should do two things: 1. hot compresses and 2. eyelid scrubs. You should do hot compresses for 5-10 minutes over each eye at the same time. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. Then, use either commercially available preparations or a dilute baby shampoo solution to scrub your eyelashes on all 4 eyelids. The commercially available preparations are called Ocusoft or Sterilid which are both over-the-counter eyelash scrubbing treatments. These cost more money but are quicker to use. Otherwise, the cheaper alternative is the dilute baby shampoo (4-5 drops Johnson's shampoo in 1/4 cup warm water), you will take the wipe (or dip a qtip in the dilute baby shampoo solution) and use that to scrub right on the eyelashes of each eyelid for 15 seconds. That will take 60 seconds when done to all 4 eyelids. The scrubbing is done right on the eyelid margin, where the eyelashes come out. After that, just splash some water on the eyes and you're done.

It does take about 3-4 weeks of doing this consistently every day before it really kicks in, so don't stop it thinking it's not working. Also the eyes are still significantly dry during this 3-4 weeks so I would recommend using artificial tears 4x/day in both eyes (one drop per application). After 4 weeks you should be able to start tapering off of the tears to as you need them.

Just doing the artificial tears, hot compresses and eyelid scrubs alone would likely start to help you after three or 4 weeks--but remember it could take this long of doing it everyday before you see a significant effect, so don't stop it thinking it's not working.

Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns?

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.

If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns.

If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. There will be an opportunity to provide either or both of these after you press the ACCEPT button. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Was wondering, During the VN war had brain trama and the retina fell behind the right eye and had sympatheticopthomia (sp) could that have caused this problem
I'm sorry; I know medical terminology is difficult to spell, let alone remember. Do you mean sympathetic ophthalmia? If so, then no, I don't think this really has anything to do with this problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sounds like this well work, thank you, i also have glaucoma
You're welcome. Good luck.