Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Hello, I have a 10 1/2 year old grand daughter who was just

Hello, I have a 10 1/2 year old grand daughter who was just diagnosed with amblyopia of the right eye. We had taken her to the peds clinic for a completely different reason and for the first time in her life, she stated that she had blurry vision in her right eye. Upon doing an eye exam using an eye chart the nurse shocked us by saying she had 20/200 in her right eye. We were given an appt at a opthamologist at which time it was diagnosed as amblyopia. Her last prior eye exam was in 2010 and both eyes at that time were 20/30. At no time in her life has anyone even hinted at amblyopia. We are stunned, seeking furthur opinions. We have another appt. at Darthmouth Hitchcock in NH. I feel I need to add that the child has epilepsy with no seizure activity in almost 4 years. Last MRI was approx a year ago, she is no longer medicated for the epilepsy. She does take Zoloft for OCD and anxiety and intuitiv for ADHD. Are they any connections between epilepsy and amblyopia .
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

There is very likely no connection between the epilepsy and the amblyopia, especially if the MRI of the head showed no lesions/masses affecting the eye, optic nerve, or part of the brain affecting vision. The most common reason for amblyopia is a difference in the need for glasses between the two eyes, with the eye that has the larger prescription being the amblyopic one usually. Does that make sense?

Customer:

yes i am

Customer:

it does make sense but why for the first time in her life is it diagnosed. I thought this was usually discovered earlier in life.

Doctor DanB :

It usually is. However, if she had recently hit a growth spurt, then her eyes may have changed at that time (prescription-wise) and that could cause this.

Customer:

We were basically told that there was nothing to do for her other than to have her wear safety lenses primarily to protect her good eye.

Doctor DanB :

I wouldn't shut the book on this yet. It has been recently shown in research studies that in children with dense amblyopia (20/200 and worse like your daughter), even kids as old as 10-12 can have improvement in the vision if it is treated in time.

Customer:

The opthomologist informed us that the shut off for patching or drops was around 8 to 9 years old and her brain could not be retrained.

Doctor DanB :

That was definitely the party line for the past several decades, but newer studies have shown that's not necessarily the case in every child. It's the children exactly like your daughter (20/200 vision) and not past the age of 12-13 that sometimes will still respond to treatment.

Customer:

So I think at least one more opinion is probably the route we need to take.

Doctor DanB :

I absolutely think you should get at least one more opinion. And it wouldn't hurt to make that opinion be with a pediatric ophthalmologist.

Customer:

Yes, I agree.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other questions about this?

Customer:

We will be seeing a pediatric opthamologist at Darthmouth. Unfortunately he cannot fit her in until late July. Thank you for time doctor. I have no more questions at this time. Goodbye.

Doctor DanB :

My pleasure.

Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. There will be an opportunity to provide either or both of these after you press the ACCEPT button. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology