Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

hAd an accident that scared my retina in my left eye. Excuse

hAd an accident that scared my retina in my left eye. Excuse my spelling. Retina was never detached but left a scar that left a blind spot in my eye, and everything else I can see out of is blurry. 14 Years ago there was nothing the dr could do, but i am comfortable with it now, So over the last few years I began to have a lazy eye that wonders when looking far. I am very uncomfortable with it when talking to people, feels embarresing. I am wondrering if there is something that would help me correct this problem?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB :

Unfortunately, the only thing that can be done for this is surgery. Sometimes when there is a strabismus (misalignment of the eyes) like this, some exercises can be done to help encourage the eye to stay in, but since the vision is down in this eye, it's less likely that you would respond to this. That being said, it's certainly worth a try. These exercises are called pencil pushups and basically amount to holding a pen or pencil out at arms length and slowly bringing it closer to your nose as you try to hold focus on it the entire extent of it's trip; this should be done 10 times per treatment, and doing 2-3 treatments per day. If the vision in that eye is significantly affected then this will likely be ineffective and you would need surgery to realign the eyes. Does that make sense?

Doctor DanB :

Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.

If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns.

If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. There will be an opportunity to provide either or both of these after you press the ACCEPT button. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

Sounds good to me. I will try that, What is involved in this kind of surgery and who should i go see to get this done

Doctor DanB :

This is a surgery where the muscles that move the eyes are removed from the surface of the eye (some of them, that is)--the eyeball is actually not cut into at all--and they are sutured back at different places to realign the eye. Believe it or not, a pediatric ophthalmologist is the specialist at this (just because kids have the highest incidence of strabismus).

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology