Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

A biopsy of my left eye tested positive for chlamydia. I have

Customer Question

A biopsy of my left eye tested positive for chlamydia. I have been married to the same man for almost 31 years. We have never stepped outside our marriage. I work at an all boys high school and handle cash on a daily basis. Is it possible for this infection to be passed on from something I may have come in contact with. My husband and I are completely puzzled by this diagnosis. Thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am an ophthalmologist

Dr. Rick :

Is the chlamydia infection located in your conjunctiva?

Dr. Rick :

Well, as you know this is usually a sexually transmitted disease. When it involves the eye it is usually found in conjunction with chlamydial urethritis or cervicitis.

Dr. Rick :

That being said, there are reports in the literature of patients who contacted this disease from swimming in poorly chlorinated public swimming pools or by sharing cosmetics.

Dr. Rick :

I see you are in the chat room. Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Are you there?

Dr. Rick :

I would treat you with a systemic antibiotic, such as doxycycline 100mg 2x/day for 7 days and recommend that you be tested for other possible co-infections. I would not rely on topical ophthalmic therapy alone.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I can't see anything you might be typing....can you see my posts?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are you able to see me replies?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
No. I'm sorry. There must be Gremlins in the computer again. I can't see anything that you typed.

Can you copy/paste them here or retype them? I'd be happy to review them. We can use this Q&A system, which seems to be working OK today.

I'm very sorry about the technical problems you are having :(
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You asked if the chlamydia was in my conjunctiva and I am not sure what that is. I am currently taking 100 mg of the antibiotic and using erothmycin gel drops into my eye.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
The conjunctiva is the white skin around your eyeball and you can also see it by pulling your lower eyelid down....it's the inside part of your eyelid.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
It sounds like you are getting the correct treatment. You husband, of course, should be tested and/or treated also.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Is there anything else you would like to ask me this morning?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My eye was very red and swollen. I have been married to the same man for over 30 years. We are puzzled by this. He went to his doctor to be tested. The doctor told him he has never heard of anything like this. Neither of us have any other symptoms of chlamydia. His doctor did not even test him. I work in an all boys high school and handle cash on a daily basis. Could this have come from something I touched?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
No. You could not have caught this from handling cash or things like that.

I understand your concerns with your marriage and the diagnosis of chlamydia but you did not catch this from your normal daily work activities.

Clinically speaking, with no judgment on your husband or your many years of happy marriage, I feel your husband should be tested for chlamydia and other possible issues. If nothing is found, well then, at least your infection is cleared up even if the source is never located.

Does this make sense.....without you being mad at me?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I am not mad just totally confused. I have been on the drugs for over a week now with some minor improvement. Does it take this long to respond to the treatment? As for my husband I will tell him your recommendation.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Yes. This infection can be slow to clear up. You are on the correct treatment and, in the long run, you will be fine.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Margaret,

I was just thinking about your case and wondering if a source for your infection was ever located. I hope all is going well for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am seeing my opthamologist this afternoon.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Good. If you have a chance I'd love to hear what she finds. Have a good day.