Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My 10 year old son has Molluscum Contagiosum on his arm. I

Customer Question

My 10 year old son has Molluscum Contagiosum on his arm. I have been applying the cream as prescribed by his dermatologist, and expressing the lesions. We have tried to be careful, and wash our hands, and the area after treatments. Yesterday, I felt like I was getting a sty in one eye. Upon examination, I can see tiny bumps when I pull down my lower lid. I can also see bumps inside the inner corner of my eye by my nose. None of these bumps are on the exterior skin. They are all on the soft fleshy pink skin by the eye. Have I caught my son's virus, and can it be treated in the eye? Molluscum can go away in time if left untreated, but is that wise if that is what it is in my eye?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

it is possible that you have caught molluscum on the eyelid.

Dr. Rick :

Small bumps, however, can also be seen inside the eyelid from a number of a causes and you might even be looking at the normal, kinda bumpy, texture of the inside of the lid.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer: Yes
Dr. Rick :

If it is molluscum it can be treated in the eye by incising the central area and scraping the base, freezing it with cryotherapy or completely removing the lesions. They also tend to go away on their own with time but this can take months.

Dr. Rick :

I'm interested....what cream did you doctor give you to use on your son's arm for molluscum?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer: He prescribed A Retin A cream which is very harsh. Trying to pop the bumps and express them has been very painful. I can't imagine going through that with my eye. All the pictures I have seen involving Molluscum around the eye show it on the lid, not in the soft inner area.
Dr. Rick :

I do not agree with retina A or poping these lesions yourself as a treatment for this condition.....That really is not an accepted plan.

Dr. Rick :

Here is an excellent, highly respected source on molluscum cantagiosum and it's treatment:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/molluscum/index.htm

Dr. Rick :

you can click on the sub heading on the left to go areas with detailed information.

Dr. Rick :

In any event, to get back to your question. Yes, if you have this in your eye it can be treated. In the vast majority of cases there is no risk to your eyeball or your vision as this virus stays associated with the lids and orbital adnexa alone.

Dr. Rick :

As a parent of 5 kids myself I would, however, encourage you to seek another opinion on the treatment your son is getting....perhaps from a dermatologist.

Customer: What is the orbital adnnexa?
Dr. Rick :

oops...sorry for the doctorspeak ;) That means the area around the eyes and orbits....it kinda covers all the various structures without having to spell them out in the chart

Customer: So that does include all the soft pink tissue around the eye, and within the lower lid?
Dr. Rick :

yes. It sure does. I've had a number of patients over the years with molluscum on this part of the orbit (conjunctiva). Some I treated by excision and some I froze off. Both worked well.

Customer: Is it done in office or more like a surgery?
Dr. Rick :

In the office. Local numbing if required

Dr. Rick :

Any ophthalmologist could do this for you if needed.

Customer: I may make an appointment now that I have spoken with you, but I didn't want to rush into a surgery if this could just rub it's course.
Dr. Rick :

I think have a complete exam by an ophthalmologist is a good idea. Who knows, it may turn out to be allergies or something and not molluscum. In any event, it can be treated without risk to your vision.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can do for you today?

Customer: Thank you for your advice, also for the advice on my son's treatment. We will be changing some things.
Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you by pressing the accept button or smiley face. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer: You too
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I was just thinking about your son's treatment for his molluscum and wondering if you had a chance to speak to another doctor about what treatment is best. I hope things are clearing up for him and that your eyelid is OK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After considering your comments, I totally agreed. The Retin A cream is so harsh, and made the condition worse. I know that the Molluscum spread to me because of the doctor's advice of popping the spots and expressing the middle. We only have one dermatologist in town, but his daughter has just joined his practice. I have not seen an opthamologist yet because I am waiting for my symptoms to be more recognizable. In the meantime, we are trying some options that I discovered online: wheatgrass, Conzerol, an antiviral antipoxin cream used for treating the lesions,and penetrating the pustule where the virus resides, and emuaid. All are specifically listed to help eliminate the bumps. They can't be any worse than the prescribed treatment. Only the emuaid has arrived, and we have been using it for a few days. It is too soon to tell, but if this virus does eventually run its course, then I'm looking for something to keep my son as comfortable as possible.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the update.

I'm not sure if those treatments will work but I agree that using Retin A is not a good idea. Let me know if I can do anything else to help.