Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

About 5 years ago I had an upper back tooth removed and the

Customer Question

About 5 years ago I had an upper back tooth removed and the dentist said that I might have sinus problems down the road because it was connected to my sinus passage. At the time I thought no problem. Well, now I am having problems with what I think is post nasal drip causing mucus in my throat which I am constantly clearing because I feel I have something caught in my throat. I also have mucus or congestion in my chest especially when I first wake up in the morning. The problem with all of this is I am not able to cough this up. I just seem to clear it and swallow. Is there anything I can do to get rid of this problem, or do you think there is something more to it. I do understand allergies are bad this season, but I don't seem to have the runny nose or the itchy watery eyes. It's just the build up of mucus. I've had this problem for about two months now. What should I do? Not sure if I should see an eye,ears,nose,throat specalist or see a lung specialist. Please help! I also cough alot.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted it does sound like an allergic like problem. That being said, if OTC therapy such as clariton-D or other allergy meds has not helped I agree with your plan to see a doctor

Dr. Rick :

I think you would be best to consult with an ENT specialist first. This way you will get the most comprehensive evaluation possible.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Good morning. Welcome to chat.

JACUSTOMER-hmxxsp7a- :

What is an ENT?

Dr. Rick :

ear nose and throat specialist

JACUSTOMER-hmxxsp7a- :

O.K. Is there anything else you could take for post nasal drip?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

JACUSTOMER-hmxxsp7a- :

Yes.

JACUSTOMER-hmxxsp7a- :

What else could be taken for post nasal drip?

Dr. Rick :

You could try to gargle with salt water, drink more fluids or use nasel sprays adn decongestant over the counter meds.

Dr. Rick :

also having a humidifier in your bedroom can help.

JACUSTOMER-hmxxsp7a- :

I tried a humidifier, it didn't seem to help either.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have tried a lot of the things available to you without seeing a doctor. I think you would be well served to get yourself checked out by a ENT specialist.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss this morning?

Dr. Rick :

I think two months is long enough to suffer with your problems....time to get an expert examination and take care of things.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you by pressing the accept button or smiley face. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.