Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

About 5 years ago I had an upper back tooth removed and the

Customer Question

About 5 years ago I had an upper back tooth removed and the dentist said that I might have sinus problems down the road because it was connected to my sinus passage. At the time I thought no problem. Well, now I am having problems with what I think is post nasal drip causing mucus in my throat which I am constantly clearing because I feel I have something caught in my throat. I also have mucus or congestion in my chest especially when I first wake up in the morning. The problem with all of this is I am not able to cough this up. I just seem to clear it and swallow. Is there anything I can do to get rid of this problem, or do you think there is something more to it. I do understand allergies are bad this season, but I don't seem to have the runny nose or the itchy watery eyes. It's just the build up of mucus. I've had this problem for about two months now. What should I do? Not sure if I should see an eye,ears,nose,throat specalist or see a lung specialist. Please help! I also cough alot.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted it does sound like an allergic like problem. That being said, if OTC therapy such as clariton-D or other allergy meds has not helped I agree with your plan to see a doctor

Dr. Rick :

I think you would be best to consult with an ENT specialist first. This way you will get the most comprehensive evaluation possible.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Good morning. Welcome to chat.

Customer :

What is an ENT?

Dr. Rick :

ear nose and throat specialist

Customer :

O.K. Is there anything else you could take for post nasal drip?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer :

Yes.

Customer :

What else could be taken for post nasal drip?

Dr. Rick :

You could try to gargle with salt water, drink more fluids or use nasel sprays adn decongestant over the counter meds.

Dr. Rick :

also having a humidifier in your bedroom can help.

Customer :

I tried a humidifier, it didn't seem to help either.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have tried a lot of the things available to you without seeing a doctor. I think you would be well served to get yourself checked out by a ENT specialist.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss this morning?

Dr. Rick :

I think two months is long enough to suffer with your problems....time to get an expert examination and take care of things.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you by pressing the accept button or smiley face. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.