Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Ive had a dull aching pain in my right eye on and off for over a week now, no vision

I've had a dull aching pain in my right eye on and off for over a week now, no vision issues what so ever. Prior to the current eye pain I did have an ocular migraine, could that still be causing my eye to be sore? Also, I need to note I did have any eye exam 2 days later and was told my optic nerve looked fine, my MD suggested I get an MRI to look for a tumor, is this necessary?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Was your eye examined by an ophthalmologist?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?\

Customer:

yes it was, he dialiated (sp) my eye and said he saw nothing happening with the optic nerve

Dr. Rick :

That's good....I would not have thought that your nerve would be involved given your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

I'm also not sure that an MRI would be of any value. The most common issues that could be causing your symptoms are sinus problems and possibly anterior segment/dry eye/allergies/blepharitis issues.

Dr. Rick :

I just can't understand how the doc thought you might have a tumor....but, after two decades of practice, I've learned that anything is possible, even if it isn't likely.

Dr. Rick :

You might try some home therapy for anterior segment issues for a few weeks and see if it helps......

Customer:

That's sorta along the same line, he did ask immediately if I had high blood pressure, which I do and that I haven't been on my meds for awhile, he seemed to think that could cause some aching in the orbital area if my blood pressure was to high

Dr. Rick :

It it possible, but once again, it would have to be really high...

Dr. Rick :

I

Customer:

I've been averaging about 155/96

Dr. Rick :

I'd start back on treatment for your hypertension in any event. Untreated, high blood pressure can cause all sorts of bad things, not the least of which is death.

Dr. Rick :

Ya., that is too high...but not high enough to cause eye/orbit pain.

Dr. Rick :

would you like me to tell you about a home treatment for anterior segment eye issues that you can try and see if it helps?

Customer:

all right then, so given the fact that I have occasional dull aching behind the eye this doesn't justify something as extreme as an MRI to search for brain tumors. I'm not leaving anything out, outside of aching behind the eye I don't have headaches, nausea, etc.

Customer:

Absolutley!

Dr. Rick :

In today's world it is not unreasonable to have an MRI for your complaint....I just would very surprised if it showed anything other then sinus issues. Ok. Here is the information:

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I'm not sure if this will help with the occasional dull aching you are experiencing but, as you can see, it is easy and inexpensive to do, so what do you have to loose by trying it?

Customer:

Yeah, that makes more sense than looking for tumors

Dr. Rick :

oops....change that to lose :)

Dr. Rick :

True ;-)

Dr. Rick :

Doubt you are going to find any tumors anyway....

Customer:

I hope so LOL, thanks for the information

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Customer:

you too

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you by pressing the accept button or smiley face. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.