Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have a pressure type pain in my left eye and i have now had

I have a pressure type pain in my left eye and i have now had this for over a week, it is making me irritable, distracted. I have been prescribed beta blockers for 4 weeks to see how it goes. no amount of pain killers will make the pain go away...it is driving me crazy. I have had my eyes tested and they are fine. All i can think about is going to bed.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

The good thing is that the eye is fine and that the eye is not the source of the pain.It is likely that it is due to migraine though you do not have any associated vomiting. Migraine can have many variants and this presentation could be one of those. Beta blockers are given for migraine prophylaxis ( prevention). The other condition which can mimic these symptoms is sinusitis as it is known to give rise to referred eye pain which can be deep seated. The eye is surrounded on all sides by 4 sinuses and thus gets involved in sinusitis with referred pain. Deep seated ocular pain can also be seen in case of rare inflammation of the part of the orbit as in tolossa hunt syndrome. But along with acute constant eye pain there is ophthalmoplegia ( inability to move the eye in all directions) too. It is a diagnosis of exclusion wherein all other causes have been excluded by various investigations including a complete blood work up, MRI scan of the brain and orbit with or without contrast or a CT scan, Oral steroids are the medicines of choice here. If you have undergone all these tests and all reports have been found to be normal , then I guess migraine is the most likely condition. You would need to continue with the prescribed medicines.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions and I would be glad to assist you.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince