Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

6 days ago I started to get a sore throat/cough which didnt

6 days ago I started to get a sore throat/cough which didn't seem to be a big deal. Two days later I developed a high fever, a constant headache from my forehead to the top of my head. My eyes were burning/sore and equilibrium was off. I spent two days in bed drinking plenty of fluids and since then the worst symptoms have gone away. However, I still have residual cold symptoms (cough/runny-nose/congestion) and have not fully regained my appetite. I also still feel drained and "groggy" in the head. I'm self employed so I'm taking the time off to get plenty of rest but whenever I start moving around too much I start feeling tired/drained and have to get back in bed and rest. I guess I'm asking if it is normal to need this much time to get better (tomorrow will be a week) and do you think this was some kind of flu virus? What would you recommend? I haven't seen a doctor because I currently don't have health insurance. I am a 30 year old male who rarely gets sick and usually just shakes it off and works through it. Non smoker, moderate drinker. Any help/advice would be great, thanks- James
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes, but I'm not sure how I ended up in the eye department

Doctor DanB : Oh. Well if it's okay I feel like I am definitely more than qualified to help you and can answer your question with certainty if you'll work with me.
Doctor DanB : Your symptoms sound very consistent with a viral illness, likely a flu virus. It is quite common for the symptoms to be lasting a week to sometimes even two weeks so the fact that you're improving but still have residual symptoms is not surprising and doesn't worry me.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Doctor DanB : Are you still there?
Customer:

Would you recommend maximum rest until completely better? Or should I slowly try to resume daily activities. Also what about eating? I am able to eat small amounts of food but don't quite have my normal taste back. Does eating slow the recovery down?

Doctor DanB : Not eating regularly shouldn't slow the recovery significantly nor should slowly advancing your activity slow your recovery. I think it's actually better to gradually increase your activity as you can because when you wait sometimes until you feel 100% better, it is sometimes harder to get back to your normal routine.
Customer:

Thanks for your help. It sounds like as long as nothing is getting worse I'm ok and just have to wait it out.

Doctor DanB : Yes. I think that's precisely it. I bet by a few more days you'll be much more functional. So you have any other questions about this?
Doctor DanB : I meant do you...
Customer:

no, that was it

Customer:

I'll accept

Doctor DanB : Okay. Good luck. Please help me get credit for my expertise and the time spent in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology