Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have an anomaly in my right eye that NOT A FLOATER. It always

I have an anomaly in my right eye that NOT A FLOATER. It always stays in the same position relative to the center of my vision no matter where I turn eye, about 12 degrees to the right. It is translucent and resembles an apostrophe. This has gone on for about a week. At first I thought it was the begining of a migraine, but it never got any bigger, and the was no headache.

What is this.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina surgeon. Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problem or take any medicine?

Dr. Rick :

Can you go to this web page, look at this amsler grid by following the directions and then tell me what you see? Is the grid distorted? Squares missing? etc? If you can, try and tell me perhaps by counting squares and direction from the central dot, where the abnormality you see is located.

Dr. Rick :

http://www.amslergrid.org/AmslerGrid.pdf

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I look forward to your response so that we can get to the bottom of what is going on with, what I believe to be, your retina.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm confused. How do I get to the page with the amsler grid? There are no active links. The medications I'm taking Are Seriquil, Trazadone, Melitonine, and Levethyroxine. Occasionally I take Xanax, and I never take any of the above mentioned drugs every day with the expeption of Levethyroxine.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
if this link is not active, copy and past it into your browser:

Ok. I don't think those meds are involved but let's see if we can better delineate the involved area...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No problem with the AmslerGrid. I think the anomaly is too far of the center of the grid to effect it.. One other thing. I'm due to start A very nasty and dangerous therapy for Hepititus C. The therapy involves The following drugs: Intreferon Ribaviron and Incivek. I was told to wait until I get a diagnosis of my eye problem so that there is no danger to my eyesight..
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok...well that is good news. That means the problem is not affecting the very important part of your central retina.

They are worried about any evidence of infection as those medicines can't be used when any infection is present anywhere in your body.

I very much doubt this is an infection. I agree with the plan to have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist. From what you have posted I think that there is a high possibility that what you are seeing is from a large weiss ring. This is a large "floater" but, sometimes, it only partially detached and remains stuck to edge of the optic nerve. In these cases it doesn't move around like your normal floater.

This, in the scheme of things, is nothing to worry about.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you by pressing the accept button or smiley face. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.

I wish you the very, very best in your upcoming Hep C treatment. I hope you end up being virus free when it is all said and done :-)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to let you know I'm still here if you would like to discuss this further...