Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My mother recently fell on a bluestone patio and hit her right

My mother recently fell on a bluestone patio and hit her right side, resulting in a bump on her right temple, near her hairline, along with swelling on her right hand/wrist ... I immediately put ice on these bumps, every 15 minutes or so ... the bump on her head went down, and the swelling in hand has decreased somewhat ... I don't think she has any broken bones, but wonder if she should still have xrays taken ... she, basically, just 'hurts' all over from the fall, but no headaches or vision problems.... she is taking 2 Tylenol Extra Strength every 12 hours or so for the pain... are we following the correct 'protocol' after this fall? By the way, my mom is 90!! Thank you!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are doing everything correct and she is going to be OK. But, as you said, she is ninety and folks that age break easily.

Dr. Rick :

The area that I would be most concerned about would be her wrist. I'd continue with the tylenol and ice packs and, if it doesn't seem to be showing any improvement in a day or so I'd take her in to see her MD for possible xrays.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you by pressing the accept button or smiley face. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I was just thinking about your mom and wondering how she is doing after her fall. I hope all is well....