Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi, my husband had his contacts in for over a week. He started

Hi, my husband had his contacts in for over a week. He started having some discomfort yesterday (but didn't take them out), today was very sunny and he started having a lot of discomfort and became very light sensitive. He took out his contacts and now both his eyes are very red. One eye is swollen, red and tearing a lot. He is still light sensitive. Should he go to the ER today or see his doctor tomorrow? By the way i am an ICU nurse so please give me an explanation for your answer.
Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes, i'm here.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, the biggest fear, given his history and symptoms, is a bacterial corneal ulcer. These things can, especially if it is from pseudomonas, get serious real fast.

Dr. Rick :

I'd get him in to see an ophthalmologist today....not sure what time it is on your side of the world...it's almost 1 pm in Wisconsin. If it is an ulcer the faster treatment is started the better the outcome.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

yeah. We live in rural norway (he's norwegian, i'm american.) I imagine the best we can hope for is seeing an on-call regular (GP) doctor, who could refer us to the E.R. if he thinks it is serious enough.

Customer:

It's about 8pm here.

Dr. Rick :

An exam by an ER doc will not be as helpful as they don't have the training and equipment to check the eye well....but it is better then no exam at all and they could get him started on antibiotic drops

Dr. Rick :

I'd do that....

Dr. Rick :

After 20 years of practice I've seen ulcers that wouldn't have been that bad if I'd got to them at 6pm be a nightmare when they rolled into the office at 9 am the next day.

Dr. Rick :

And, yes. You can yell at him for not taking out his lenses at the first sign of discomfort and checking with you lol!

Customer:

ok. what kind of eye drops? should i recommend something (lol). Not take no for an answer if they don't want to do something?

Dr. Rick :

It depends on the exam but vigamox is a very good, broad spectrum antibiotic drop.

Dr. Rick :

Your an ICU nurse. You don't really expect me to believe you are not going to be able to get the poor, innocent, GP to get your husband any care you think he needs, do you? ;-)

Customer:

ok, thanks for your help :)

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have good evening.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you by pressing the accept button or smiley face. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.