Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I was punched in the face about two weeks ago. Immediately

Customer Question

I was punched in the face about two weeks ago. Immediately after i got a large swelling above my right eye near the temple but not directly on it, still on the forehead. My eyes later turned black and where the lump was got a greeny pale yellow bruise. Now all the bruising has gone but am left with a small lump about the size of a thumb nail where the initial large lump was. My right eye brow is not moving as well as it used to like I've had botox but its slowly, and i mean slowly getting better but not fast. can you tell me what the lump is, its seems to be under the skin but there is no discolouration anymore just a soft-ish lump.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

JACUSTOMER-nv0gltbq- :

hi

JACUSTOMER-nv0gltbq- :

what do you think

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there any pain or tenderness in the lump now?

JACUSTOMER-nv0gltbq- :

no real pain but if i push it it is slightly tender

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

How is it in consistency- is it soft or firm?

JACUSTOMER-nv0gltbq- :

firm but not hard

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Well looks like there is some amount of fibrosis following the soft tissue blunt trauma.

JACUSTOMER-nv0gltbq- :

what does that mean

JACUSTOMER-nv0gltbq- :

is it serious

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Fibrosis is part of the tissue healing process.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

no it is not serious.

JACUSTOMER-nv0gltbq- :

do you know how long it could take to heal

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since there is minimal tenderness still, looks like the inflammation has not resolved completely.

JACUSTOMER-nv0gltbq- :

ok what would you recommend or is there nothing really i can do

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can apply warm compresses twice a day for another week along with anti-inflammatory tablets such as Tab.Ibuprofen, 400 mg twice a day for a week.

JACUSTOMER-nv0gltbq- :

ok when should i consider seeing a professional face to face? if it doesn't go down? should i be worried about the reduced eyebrow movement?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

After a week of the above suggested measures, if there are persistent symptoms, I would suggest a detailed evaluation so as to ensure that there is no injury to the underlying bone.

JACUSTOMER-nv0gltbq- :

ok what about the reduced eyebrow movement?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the tissue injured has involved the brow muscles(corrugator supercilii) as in inflammation of the muscle tissue, it would be temporary and would get resolved once the inflammation subsides.

JACUSTOMER-nv0gltbq- :

brilliant thanks for your help, also what are warm compresses?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Warm compresses are applied by dipping a towel in warm water( squeeze the excess water out) and applying it to the affected part. It can be done for 15-20 minutes at each sitting. The same can be repeated twice a day.

JACUSTOMER-nv0gltbq- :

thats great thank you very much for you help have a good night

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I am glad to have assisted you.Have a good night.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Please feel free to ask follow up questions, if any and I would be glad to answer them.