Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I was punched in the face about two weeks ago. Immediately

Customer Question

I was punched in the face about two weeks ago. Immediately after i got a large swelling above my right eye near the temple but not directly on it, still on the forehead. My eyes later turned black and where the lump was got a greeny pale yellow bruise. Now all the bruising has gone but am left with a small lump about the size of a thumb nail where the initial large lump was. My right eye brow is not moving as well as it used to like I've had botox but its slowly, and i mean slowly getting better but not fast. can you tell me what the lump is, its seems to be under the skin but there is no discolouration anymore just a soft-ish lump.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer :

hi

Customer :

what do you think

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there any pain or tenderness in the lump now?

Customer :

no real pain but if i push it it is slightly tender

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

How is it in consistency- is it soft or firm?

Customer :

firm but not hard

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Well looks like there is some amount of fibrosis following the soft tissue blunt trauma.

Customer :

what does that mean

Customer :

is it serious

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Fibrosis is part of the tissue healing process.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

no it is not serious.

Customer :

do you know how long it could take to heal

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since there is minimal tenderness still, looks like the inflammation has not resolved completely.

Customer :

ok what would you recommend or is there nothing really i can do

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can apply warm compresses twice a day for another week along with anti-inflammatory tablets such as Tab.Ibuprofen, 400 mg twice a day for a week.

Customer :

ok when should i consider seeing a professional face to face? if it doesn't go down? should i be worried about the reduced eyebrow movement?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

After a week of the above suggested measures, if there are persistent symptoms, I would suggest a detailed evaluation so as to ensure that there is no injury to the underlying bone.

Customer :

ok what about the reduced eyebrow movement?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the tissue injured has involved the brow muscles(corrugator supercilii) as in inflammation of the muscle tissue, it would be temporary and would get resolved once the inflammation subsides.

Customer :

brilliant thanks for your help, also what are warm compresses?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Warm compresses are applied by dipping a towel in warm water( squeeze the excess water out) and applying it to the affected part. It can be done for 15-20 minutes at each sitting. The same can be repeated twice a day.

Customer :

thats great thank you very much for you help have a good night

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I am glad to have assisted you.Have a good night.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Please feel free to ask follow up questions, if any and I would be glad to answer them.